iphone 4 scratching easily

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jfinn1976, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jfinn1976 macrumors newbie

My phone is naked I like the look, I love the phone and have been taking very care of putting it in my pocket with no loose change or keys or anything and watching where I put it. I have a 3g prior for 1 1/2 years, but the new one I'm noticing little scratches on the screen and slightly on the back.

Is everyone else having this issue? sucks since I've only had it since the 23rd, yes full body guardz are now on the way, they can't get here soon enough, just disappointed I was hoping this new screen would be more scratch protective.

2. bova80 macrumors 6502a

i dont' get all these scratching easily threads? mine has been uncased since i got it and i set it on everything and haven't seen a single mark on it. just get some polish and it will come right out most likely.

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I don't have the iPhone 4 and I don't get it. It's made of a aluminum glass, not plastic.

4. jfinn1976 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't think it would either, but in the right light I can see micro scratches. Can you use a glass polish or is there a coating on there that may rub off? Sorry if this has been posted many times before.

5. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

my friend just scratched his up last night. i tried to take pics but they did not come out.

he dropped his i4 in the driveway. no screen shields just a bumper. when we got inside he was angry. tiny nick in the glass and when under light we saw 6 hairline scratches all across the front glass. granted when he powers on the i4 you can't see anything or feel the nick in the glass but he's bothered by it. he's going out today to buy a cheap screen shield and a "real" case.

Makes me realize a screen shield is a MUST if you care about scratches and a bumper doesn't do anything for drop protection.

granted we are unsure if the hairline scratches are from the drop. he said he never noticed them. the nick in the glass is definitely from the drop he said. he would have noticed that before.

glad I have a CandyShell and IS.

6. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

never heard of that!

7. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

I can also go to say that my phone is showing some micro scratches on the front under certain light. It seems to take very bright light to show. On the back, however, I seem to have a small scratch that is much more visible than the others on the front. I find this very odd, considering I have not treated my iPhone 4 any way differently than my 3G or 3GS. Neither of those ever had scratches on the glass. This combined with the signal problem is just extremely frustrating.

8. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Any phone will scratch. How badly and how soon involves a lot of luck or a little unexpected grit! (Or a drop. Yikes!)

My plastic 3G still looks like new... until I JUST NOW looked at it close under good light, and I can see little scratches. Thanks for that :p

Look for them or don’t... ANY phone will scratch when something harder touches it, and there’s no magic that can prevent that. Some will choose a case. I’m torn: I like my phone as small as possible. (And when grit gets inside a case eventually, that CAUSES scratches. I think it’s best to go caseless at first, and eventually get a case to HIDE the scratches.)

But no screen protector for me for sure: I think they look worse than scratches!

9. buggsy2 macrumors member

buggsy2

Well...

In Jobs' hyperbole, maybe.

True transparent aluminum exists only in the lab in extreme atomic-scale conditions.

"Aluminum glass" seems to have become the latest buzz-phrase in the pop culture to convey Jobs' hype about the iPhone 4 front and back cover. Only Apple engineers and Chinese manufacturers know what it really is, probably something akin to watch crystals (covers). At any rate it certainly can break and scratch. I used my iPhone 4 nekkid a few days which looked great but made me nervous. And the thing is so slippery that it would slide off a closed netbook case which was flat on a coffee table, onto the carpeted floor. So I put on the Zagg Invisible Skin, front and back, which takes away the Clark Monolith look a bit but removes the slipperiness and protects from scratching. Still waiting for a case on order.

10. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

The front is made of aluminosilicate glass, not exactly transparent aluminum like in Star Trek, but it is tougher than normal glass. Information about aluminosilicate can be found all over the internet. Watch crystals, at least on higher end watches, are usually made of sapphire (aka aluminum oxide). Sapphire is close in hardness to diamond, so they don't scratch very easily. You would need a diamond or another sapphire to scratch it. I've had my current watch for about 8 years, during which time I only take it off to shower, or else it's on my wrist 24/7. Although the case and bracelet are scratched up pretty nice, the crystal doesn't have a single mark on it.

11. kangaralph macrumors member

not really. no scratch on my phone. i have a belkin eclipse case and it surprisingly good

12. aced411 macrumors 6502

I have more scratches in 2 months than I had in three years with the previous iphones. Between this and the dropped calls I really wish I would have just kept the 3GS. I spent a butt load to upgrade early.

13. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Get a full body clear-coat or similar. When I got my iPhone I wouldn't leave the Att store with out protection. One of the reps installed a full body Zagg on the spot for me.

Marc

14. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

I'm loving the PowerSupport front and back protection...I have Zagg shield on the bezel but it's very crappy in comparison...

-J.-

15. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I hate to point out what has been mentioned many times before, but when the front of the iPhone 4 or 3GS gets small scratches it is, in all likelihood, the oleophobic coating that is getting scratched, not the glass itself. The 3G never had that and at least in my case of having the front naked for a year never got a scratch.

I know it really does not matter if the coating is scratched or the glass is scratched but I thought I should mention it.