IPhone 4 Scratching Issue + Ware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by D4ND4N, Jul 20, 2010.

1. D4ND4N macrumors member

Basically, I have just bought a Zagg Shield Protector and now I'm looking at my phone and have found tiny scratches all over the phone, although my phone is usually in pockets with nothing else.

Now if i go into the apple shop and complain to get a new one, so i can apply the Zagg what should i say?,

Also anyone with the Bumper, does yours ware the aluminum sides down, i have seen mine has been doing so, little spots of ware all over the sides

Regards

2. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I think you mean wear, but no, I take mine on and off daily and have seen no wear on the alluminium casing.

I dont think the Apple store will accept a return for scratches - it's kind of your own fault mate.

3. D4ND4N thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, its Wear i think, Sorry.. But they should considering its Scratch Proof? Is there anyway i can return for a standard antenna fault of somekind

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Show me 'where' Apple state's that the iPhone 4 is scratch proof and I'll trade my scratchless iPhone with your scratched iPhone and I'll pay shipping both ways.

5. D4ND4N thread starter macrumors member

Okay but i thought it was, sorry. either way it shouldn't scratch that easily?

6. bstpierre macrumors 6502

You can return it for the antenna issue for a full refund (if it is not damaged).

7. Polo5 macrumors regular

tip: if you keep your bumper or any other case on, you wont notice the scratches...

also
    normal use = Wear and tear
    that's normal and expected..

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I would say it is pretty scratch resistant. Have you owned any other phone's with glass screens that didn't scratch as easy to compare it to? Maybe it's just your lifestyle that is more prone to scratching?

He doesn't want to return it though. He wants to get it replaced. They won't (or shouldn't at least) give replacements for the antenna issues anymore.

9. D4ND4N thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i had the old 3G, and no scratches at all,

10. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I click on all of these "I found a scratch" threads and I have found one common theme. all of you put your phone in your pocket. If you actually looked in your pockets and see all the little lint and things maybe you would not be surprised. I have found little pieces of grit and things in my pockets that would reek havoc on the glass (BTW it is not scratch proof)

I have used my phone naked for the last 3 weeks but I put it in one of those side cases that you wear on your belt. I dont have one scratch or nick or ding.

Maybe you guys should consider not putting your phone in your pockets.

just a thought.

also, if you are going to take your phone back to the store and try to exchange it for little scratches, let me know when and where cause I wanna watch them laugh their A$$e$ off at you.

11. breezie macrumors member

I have used the 2G, 3G, and 3GS without cases/screen protectors and none of them have ever had a screen scratch. The Iphone4 got a scratch (small one but noticable) after the first 2 weeks of use! It was not the result of dropping or aggressive use either.

Anyways, I had other issues such as a proximity sensor, green camera blob, and signal stuff so I was able to easily swap it out.

12. andrewsd macrumors 6502

Scratches

I have to agree with the OP. Besides the back plastic casing witch was scratched to all hell my 3G screen wasn't that bad but I my iPhone 4 has a few more scratches already and I haven't had for near a long. I know where one came from and whatnot but the others are a little rid ulous just because the glass is "supposed to be harder". I'm not going to return mine but even a few fellow friends have noticed it scratches easier.

13. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

14. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I am going to play devils advocate for a moment. Everyone keeps saying that apple said the glass is supposed to be harder when they compare it to the previous generation iphones. In actuality this is not what they said.

they said they are using a new glass that is 30X harder than plastic. since they never used this comparison witht the 3gs we dont know how much stronger it was than plastic.

what if the iPhone 3Gs was 40X stronger than plastic? that would mean that this glass is actually softer than previous generations. or what if the 3gs was 25X stronger than plastic then the 4 is only marginally harder.

the point is that they are using plastic as the reference not the previous phones. it is a marketing tactic. your mind automatically thinks it is 30X harder than the previous when it may not be the case.

you could take that one step further, what type of plastic are they referencing? some plastics are harder than others. I would not put much stock into that statement.

15. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Regardless of what Apple said, I should be able to put my phone into a pocket with nothing else and not have it get scratched up. I should be able to put my phone down on a coffee table without picking it up to new scratches.

I took my bumper off this weekend because I hate it and don't want it. Set it on the coffee table. Went to sleep. Woke up. Scratch across the entire back of the phone.

The phone was scratched by magic inside of a micro-fiber bag in my pocket when I first got it.

It's clearly not the glass, but the coating on the glass. It's much more fragile than the 3GS was. There is no question in my mind. I have three phones as evidence.

16. sslanchi macrumors regular

sslanchi

Well said.

p.s. I always put my iPhones in my pocket and I believe that the iPhone 4 scratches easier than the 3g.

17. ZipZap macrumors 601

The glass should have been sapphire crystal coated...or better yet sapphire coated mineral crystal. Flexible and scratch resistant.

Now you can see how marketing cand build misunderstood hype and the reality is never as good.

18. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

You are absolutely correct. If that is an important requirement for you then you should by all means return the iPhone and buy a phone that gives you that.

Most laptop computers are plastic and if I drop something on the hand rests or rub my watch on it, it is likely not going to do anything.

BUT, I have chosen to use a macbook Pro, I knew at purchase it was made out of a more unforgiving material. So, if I dont want dents, I dont use a watch or hold things over it that could drop.

I think the problem is that everyone LOVES their iphones and cant imagine replacing it with something else. But they want to treat it like every other phone and say I should be able to lay it on the table without getting a scratch because i can with every other phone. but the fact is it's not like every other phone and that precisely is what makes it great.

If you want the iphone, and you dont want it scratched or dented or cracked, you have to take precautions. that is the price we pay to have it.

19. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Even more correct. I can't even put it in my pocket because of the fear of it scratching to hell. The fact that my 3G had 0 scratches on the screen (had it for 2 years, no case, no screen protector) and there's a scratch on my ip4 already from God knows where... That upsets me a bit.

We should beable to treat it like the PHONE that it is. Not like a new born infant.