iPhone 4 screen broken, but not cracked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheAppleGeek, Aug 21, 2010.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

Tonight a coffee cafe, I dropped my iPhone 4 from the counter to the ground, which was around six feet. (I was without a case, by the way. Coincidentally, I left the house asking if I should bring it or not.) I picked up, the phone laying screen-first. Nothing was cracked, and I put in my pocket. Afterwards, I was drinking my coffee, and I noticed the screen only showed a blue, fairly dim light. I can still receive calls, texts, and that stuff, but can't see anything.

Is this a common problem with iPhone screens breaking? I'm always careful about my devices (which, surprisingly, I'm not terribly upset about being without an iPhone. I've become addicted to it as of lately), and needed some help regarding this issue.

Should I send it into Apple for a refurbished iPhone 4, or go through a company that fixes this problem?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The screen isn't cracked? Do you have a Genius Bar nearby? Why not take it in? You never know, it might be as simple as reconnecting a loose connector. And depending on the genius (and how much you choose to divulge), it may be a free repair under warranty.

If you don't have an Apple Store nearby, sending it in can be trickier because you have less control over the situation (Apple my fix it, replace it, charge you, or cover it for free, etc). In any case, I'd stick with Apple, but that's just my personal preference.

3. molala macrumors 6502a

I'd take it to an Apple Store if convenient. I would be honest about what happened. Even if there is no external evidence of the fall, there might be inside, it is better to tell them the truth. At worst, it will cost you $200 for a replacement.

Also, a coffee counter that is 6 feet high? Were you on a platform with the counter above it and it fell to the ground below the platform? If it's really 6 ft, that is a big drop.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

All screens can break without cracking the front glass the screen sits behind. I broke the screen of my samsung blackjack by dropping it even though the plastic it was behind was fine without any scratches. Though if you do tell them it was dropped, unless the genius is feeling very generous they probably wont replace under warrantee, up to you what you want to tell them.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

My original iPod touch one fell from a height of about 4 feet onto concrete. The screen didn't crack, but it became a white screen. It still responded to touch and everything and I could take screenshots. Weird thing was tho, a couple days later the screen started showing noise instead of being pure white - kind of like a TV with a weak signal to a channel. A week later the screen worked perfectly. The screen stopped working for a couple hours 2 months later, but was fine ever since. I've had that iPod touch for more than 3 years now, and it still works perfectly (well perfectly asides from being horribly slow on iOS 3.1.3).

What I'm trying to say is there's a chance that it will fix itself. But if there's no external damage, a genius will probably swap it out for you

6. KGWVU macrumors regular

KGWVU

My iP4 did sort of the same thing. Although, I did not drop it and it was not due to any physical damage that I know of. My screen started getting what looked like green lightning all over the home screen. It was weird, I had no idea what it was. I would hard boot the phone and all was well. Eventually, it got to the point that my screen was completely unresponsive. I could hear the phone ring, put it on silent and feel it vibrate, etc. I did a restore and it was fine. I finally found that it only happened when I had the phone in my front pocket - through playing with the phone, I then found that if any pressure was put in the top right part of the screen, it would go completely white then unresponsive. I took it to the Genius Bar and they replaced it with no problems.

7. kimtyson macrumors member

The new iPhone 4 screen does not break and needs no protection. Just ask Apple. :rolleyes:

8. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, I live no where close to an Apple Store. My best option would just be to send it in to Apple.

9. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Wow that's odd, great story though!

10. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it was closer to 4.5 feet high.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, the symptoms the Op and otehrs have described in this thread wouldn't have benefitted from screen protection, which only protects the outer glass. In these cases, either the inner LCD glass has cracked (which can happen on any device), or a connector has been knocked loose.

12. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

One of the most peculiar things happened to me. I hadn't messed with my phone for the past few hours, besides making phone calls, and when I pull it out of my pocked, the screen is back on! In excitement, I go through apps, before sticking it back in my pocket.

Alas, as soon as I take the phone back out, the screen was back to the backlight/blue light. That had to have been an act of God!