iPhone 4 screen more prone to smudges?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pharos, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Pharos macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Am I going crazy? Seriously, I've owned 4 iPhones starting with the 2G and my new iPhone 4 is much worse than my 3GS when it comes to leaving smudges on the screen. Granted, the oleophobic screen makes it much easier to wipe it, but everytime I whip it out of my pocket, the thing just looks so ugly I have to constantly clean it with my shirt or whatever piece of clothing that doesn't look like it's abrasive and will scratch the screen. Thankfully I have yet to witness a scratch from the overuse of non-microfiber cloths. Is there a screen protector that helps reduce these smudges? I' m assuming there's no possibility of me having gotten a phone with a lower quality glass or oleophobic coating, right? Thanks

2. 0wnage macrumors member

I thought the sameeeee exact thing - and I turned out to be right. Except on my iPhone, the smudges would start adhering to the display, so wiping it off just smudged around the smudges - not actually wiping off at all. You might want to take it in, as the oleophobic coating could just be defective, or prematurely failing.

3. Pharos thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually it is like that on mine as well (not being able to wipe it all off the screen), but I always thought this was due to using a regular cotton cloth that wasn't very efficient... I feel this can't be normal, it is totally degrading my iPhone experience and even the 3G or 2G weren't that bad :(

4. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

i wouldnt even know since ive had a screen shield on it since i bought it.

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ummm, not to be rude, but if you're leaving masive smudges on your phone, try washing your hands more. I wash my hand 5-6 times a day, my phone barely has a smudge, 'cuz I have some clean hands....try washing fellas.

6. Pharos thread starter macrumors member

Lol
    I haven't changed my handwashing habits at all, I've always washed them often, thank you very much, fella.

7. 0wnage macrumors member

If your screen is hard to wipe smudges off, or smudges easily, and you wash your hands often (or with oil-free and oil-removing soap like I do), have it replaced.

8. meatballs macrumors 6502

I feel the same way about my glasses. But hey, what can you do :D

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I find the iPhone 4 to be much easier to keep clean and smudge free than my prior 3GS and it wasn't bad at all. It's just that the iP4 is even better. I'm very picky and would definitely report it as bad if it was.

I have never had a screen with a surface quite as nice as the iPhone 4.

Cheers... :)

10. el-John-o macrumors 65816

2 words, Ghost Armor!

Mine too got smudgy at times, but with ghost armor it doesn't.

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I felt the iPhone 4 was amazing at being smudge resistant. All it take is a quick wipe with a clean microfiber cloth to make is shiny. Heck, even my t-shirt did a bang up job on it.

You want to see smudgy?, get a 4th gen iPod touch. Mine gets disgusting after 10 minutes of use. I used to polish it constantly, now I've given up and gotten used to it. haha.