iPhone 4 screen more susceptible to scratches than 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdamA9, Jul 12, 2010.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I have had the iPhone 3G for 2 years, and not one single scratch could be found on the screen. Since I’ve had the iPhone 4 from launch, there are loads of tiny scratches all over the screen. Initially I didn’t notice them, but as they’ve been building up, I’m noticing more and more, and today there’s one that’s in the screen and gives the impression that it’s wet, if you know what I mean? As in it distorts any pixels in the area of the scratch and thus, it is noticeable.

I wondered what my stance would be in taking it back to Apple? I know it’s my fault (I guess), for not putting a screen protector on it, but my argument would be if a screen protector was needed, it should come with the phone in the first place. I have to say I’m not at all happy that I’ve got these scratches on there, it’s usually kept in my pocket, free from anything that could cause the marks, so I’ve no idea where they’ve come from.

Anyone else without the screen protector noticing tiny scratches all over the screen? Could it be this glass just isn’t as good as the old one?

:mad:

Thanks

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

There's a theory that many of these scratches are actually in the oliophobic chemical coating. I'm wondering if Apple had it applied extra thick (compared to the 3GS)

The bigger flaw (IMHO) is the fact that the glass is the "tallest" thing on both sides. If you lay your naked iPhone down on a hard surface and there is the least little bit of sand or grit between the two, it's going mark it.

HardGlass/-sand-/hardSurface = Bad