iPhone 4 - Screen protection needed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bleak, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Bleak macrumors member

I bought an invisible shield but haven't put it on yet so I'm wondering if it's really needed for the iPhone? I'd like to remain scratch free, so I'm wondering if anyone who has had it for a while is still scratchless. Thanks :)

2. mrathee macrumors 6502

I got max protection from zagg- I put on the back (since its always on a table or other surface, and the sides to stop attenuation.

The front glass and screen is just so gorgeous and has such a nice feel that I didn't want to cover it up. I have had ip4 since the day it was released and (knock on wood) no scratches yet.

If you take care of your devices, it would be better to enjoy having them than keeping them in a bubble, imo

3. BigGarb macrumors member

I have no protection and noticed my first scratch. I really have to look to see it and can only see it in direct light. Not sure how it got there but it is about 2 inches long.

As they say the first cut is the deepest.

4. Bleak thread starter macrumors member

I'll probably have a case on the back, I mean it is pretty and all, but I like having the case there so it never slips out of my hand.

Also... I got the iphone started and apparently I need to insert a sim card... if I put it in will it get locked to the company? (rogers) It's an unlocked phone from Canada.

5. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

I'm pretty sure that if the phone itself is unlocked, putting a company's SIM card in it won't lock it up to that carrier. As for the screen protection question, I've found that just having a case on the back works fine for me.

6. TBONE72 macrumors regular

I've heard that it is the oleophobic coating that 'scratches' fairly easily. I can attest to this because I have a 'scratch' that is noticeable under certain lighting conditions. When I run my finger across it I cannot feel a physical scratch.

However, my buddy at work came home from a camping trip with a small scratch (actual indentation on the glass that you can feel) on his iPhone 4. He's not sure what is was that came into contact with the glass that caused it.

As much as I don't want to have a screen protector, it maybe necessary.

7. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

If you want it scratch free a year from now.....put a case on it and a screen protector. Take it out of the case once a week to clean out the 'grit'.

I've been doing this since the first iPhone, and have always been able to resell the old one at a premium cause it's in great shape. So, bascially I've only had to purchase the first one at $299, and then every one after that (a 3G, then 3Gs, then iP4) has been covered for free by selling the older one for what I paid on the new model (minus the difference on contract extension and such fees).

As to your SIM question, it depends on the contract tied to the SIM you use. For clarification.....the phone won't be locked to the SIM, but you may be tied to a contract for that SIM.

8. nayaguilar, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  9. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

No screen protector for me and not a single scratch. I had my iPhone 4 since the first day that it was out.

I get a new iPhone every year so if I do get a scratch, I just toughen up and accept it until the new iPhone comes out.

10. Bleak thread starter macrumors member

No contract is attached to the sim I think, they just asked me if I wanted a 'free' simcard and from which company I'd like it from, so it should be fine if that's the case?

11. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

1) The glass may be hardened, but there's an oleophobic coating on top of the glass that is absolutely NOT hardened. Let a hard object or grit rub against it and you will have a permanent mark.

2) The iPhone 4's design provides NO "off the table" lift for the glass. You set it face down, add a little unseen sand or grit, and you get first hand experience of point 1.

I'd use a screen protector and a case that has raised edges around the screen. I've used a Zagg, but I didn't like the rubbery feel or the wet install procedure. I personally recommend the SGP crystal. It is beautifully clear and if carefully installed, almost unnoticeable. Plus it comes with little adhesive "tabs" to remove any dust that seeped in during the install. My wife loves it on her phone.

BTW, my phone has an OtterBox Defender (see my screen name) and I'm using the built in anti-glare screen protector. While most anti-glare screen protectors leave your screen looking very grainy, the OtterBox isn't so bad. This level of phone protection may be a little overkill for your application however.

12. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

An InvisibleShield or Crystal Film is far from a bubble and they take nothing away from the enjoyment. You can barely tell that either is on the phone. Scratches don't ruin the screen completely for me, but I hate knowing that they're there. So it's worth the price for me.

13. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

No screen protector (since launch) and no scratches.

14. mrathee macrumors 6502

I disagree - with the shield on the screen the feeling is COMPLETELY different and in 80% of the cases for my phones, there is a visual degradation as well. (not much, but it is absolutely noticeable. Almost as if there is a bit of liquid left between the phone and shield. And no, it isn't because I use too much. I used a small amount AND after noticing this, I used different amounts for other installations. Some excessive amounts and 1 installation without using the spray at all)

For someone that says they find minor scratches very noticeable, im surprised you haven't noticed the huge differences in ip4 with and without zagg.

15. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

The difference between you and I is that I like the feel of the Zagg shield. I've used them for years and like the texture. I never really cared for the slick feel of the iPhone's screen.

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

17. Resist macrumors 68030

This is not possible....;), Apple said the iPhone does not need a screen protector and the reason why they stopped selling them at the Apple stores. Apple claims the iPhone 4 screen is even more scratch resistant than previous models.

18. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I had one tiny scratch on the oleophobic coating and I babied the phone. Everyone should put SGP or PS crystal/anti-glare film on! :D:D:D:D

19. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

you know when something is new and shiny we all want to keep in it good condition but at the end it just gets treated like rubish. mine is scratchless but sooner or later its gonna get scratched and then time for a new phone.

phones is just like a pair of shoes... it will get scratched and dirty. and in the end it will break.

20. Biscotti macrumors regular

I have not had a screen protector on my phone since launch day, and although I don't have any deep scratches, I have a few minor "spider web" or really thin scratches.

ALSO, my main reason for just now buying a screen protector: Lately I have been playing COD zombies, which plays with 2 virtual joysticks on the screen. After 2 weeks I have noticed I rubbed off part of the oleophobic coating in those 2 areas! When the screen is off, I can easily see 2 visible "holes" on the glass. I have babies my phone after upgrading from the 3G which did not have this coating. So I didn't know it could be rubbed off. I just bought a zagg so I will start playing games on my iPhone again only after I install it. I don't want to rub off any more of the coating.

Any other iPhone 4 owners experience this?

21. Resist macrumors 68030

I have never heard of anything like this happening, especially in only 2 weeks time. Since the "Touch Screen" was designed to be touched, I have a hard time believing what happened to you is possible. Either you are using an abrasive on your fingers, like comet cleaner or you have a defective screen. It's possible quality control was off the day your screen was manufactured.

22. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That is true, but they haven't invented yet a wax to buff our iPhone to a new condition. ;)

23. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Clear coat is awesome. I got the full body installed at the mall. Doesn't have nearly the orange peal as the Zagg.

$35 installed full body, even the sides.

Marc

24. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm using a Power Support screen, which was easy to apply, with no water necessary.

25. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Screen protectors make your screen stick when you run fingers over it. This is the single reason I have no protector. The only thing I have is a bumper, I know it will get scratched at some point but I am as careful as can be without being OCD.