iPhone 4 - SCREEN PROTECTOR or NAKED?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Poochi, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Just a quick poll (I am trying to make up my mind about to protect once again or going naked this time around - will use a bumper however).

- Are you using screen protector, why and why not?
    - Will iPhone get scratched under normal use assume it's not dropped?

I lined up for iPhone 4 yesterday (Canadian here), and the guy in front of me pulled out a very beat up iPhone 3GS. Plastic back got multiple crack, glass remains pristine after a year. I planned on getting Powersupport Crystal Film but after seeing a beat up 3GS with not a single scratch!

2. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

If you want your iPhone 4 all scratched up go naked since it's easily scratched.

3. jonjames macrumors regular

dude this is a question you can only answer. its all about personal preference. get an opinion!

4. pittman87 macrumors regular

It all depends on how you treat your device. If you go naked and are careful with it the most that's going to happen is you'll have little finite scratches that you can only see if you hold it at a certain angle in the sun. If you don't even want those than get a screen protector.

5. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I have no idea why anyone wouldn't use a screen protector. I get them on eBay for dirt cheap and they are so simple to put on and protective of any simple scratches. I don't see a reason for the expensive ones when you can just get the cheap ones and change them however often you want. And they make them for the front and back. You are still left with the naked feel of the phone, but have a little room for error.

6. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I have only started using screen protector and case when I got my iPhone 3G because finger print was awful and I didn't trust the plastic back to not get all scratched up - just because the backside of iPhone 3G/3GS was too shiny yet fragile.

I am struggling to not use a screen protector this time because retina display is too good to be covered up...

Also as mentioned in my opening post, the person I met yesterday with an unprotected iPhone 3GS that's completely beat up on the back side (plastic) but the glass part is scratchless.

And iPhone 4 is made of glass front and back...

That's why.

1. Retina
    2. beat up iPhone 3GS has no scratch at all. and I am careful with phones.

I am paranoid about scratching but I do not want to get a screen film this time due to amazing retina display.

Argh, I am still struggling and can't make up my mind.

7. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I whole heartedly agree about having the room for error.

I thought glass is more scratch resistant than screen protector or the other way around?

My iPhone 3G and 3GS Powersupport Screen protectors were SCRATCHLESS when I sold them lol :)

It's not about money really... it's about whether it is "REALLY" needed or not.

I have been doing a lot of research online, seems like everyone wanted you to buy it (and all the blogs and websites have full ads on cases/invisible shield etc etc).

Feels like conflict of interest and I don't know what to believe anymore yet I don't want to risk it first hand!!!

8. 6daniels macrumors member

i also got my iphone 4 yesterday in canada i bought invisible shield with it i hate the feeling of plastic on it the glass feels so nice in your hand i took mine off. wasted 20$ its a phone if it has to get scratched it will and plus it states on the website its made from the type of glass that helicopters use so no scratches unless u put in ur pockets with keys

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I recommend that you try one of the protectors that are out there for yourself, and see if you can live with it on or not. IMHO, it's much easier to live with one of the protectors than a scratch that you got by not having one on, but it's your call. (Just my two cents)

10. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Get the cheap ones on eBay and try it out. If you feel you need the more expensive ones than get them after you try the others. I guarantee you the display will not suffer, especially if you put it on properly (no bubbles, dust, etc). I'd much rather scratch a 50 cent piece of plastic than a $300 piece of glass.

11. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

It's about cost and benefit. The cost is the extra layer of material between your screen and you. This can result in (however minor) degradation of image quality and user experience. This cost varies according to how you perceive and interact with your phone. The benefit is protection from inevitable minor scratches, and the value of this benefit depends on how important it is to you to have a flawless screen.

To me the costs outweigh the benefits. I have a gelaskin to protect the back (and for my own vanity) but nothing over the screen itself. My 3G's screen was just fine after two years, though the back was scratched to hell.

12. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

That's what happened to the 3GS from the guy I met yesterday. back was beat up to hell but screen is fine.

So far so good, appreciate all the input and opinions, I will sit on it for a while and make up my mind.

13. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

I have an idea. Some of us purchase full coverage insurance for our phones and we want the maximum clarity and resolution out of this new, "Retina display."

These films don't protect the glass from breaking if dropped. There is plenty of room for error.
    Exactly.

14. eTip macrumors 6502

+1

- if for no other reason than to see how difficult or easy you find the installation. My advice: order at least a couple from different suppliers. I almost always keep a spare around in case I hose the install & for when it eventually starts peeling up (I tend to take my cases on & off so this happens to me more than most). I have cheap ($1-2) eBay protectors on my iP4 & iPad right now and am happy w/ both.

15. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You have to be really dumb to scratch the iPhone 4 e.g. putting the iPhone with your car keys in the same pocket. IMO the screen protector ruins the image and feels like crap to the touch and since it really isn't need, I don't use it.

16. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

i ordered some screen protectors from ebay for 99 cents with free shipping and they cover the front and back. I usually use ebay for screen protectors and they are great! I mean I put my bumper or my other cases on and no air bubbles and it just fits great.

17. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

This is how I felt, with EVERY iPhone I've had. I never carry it in my pocket with keys, anything metal, etc. Just my right pocket and my phone, that's it.

Today I took it out and there's a hairline scratch about half the length of a fingernail and it's to the left of the home button. So, thankfully nowhere my eyes will look on the actual screen, but it's there and I can notice it if I look for it.

I have been SUPER careful with my iPhone 4 and I was also with my 3GS and I managed to scratch that up a bit too, it had 3 scratches almost the same size after about 6 months.

I don't know how I do it, but I don't like screen protectors either. :( Eh...

18. eTip macrumors 6502

Not true and unnecessarily insulting. You should have prefaced THIS part of your most with the "IMO". There have been plenty of people that have posted about scratched screens that have been very careful with their phone. Not to mention people with Ipads with the same issue (I don't thing they are putting them in their pockets with keys). I have a very small scratch on my iPad that happened before my screen protector arrived. My best guess as to how it happened - and what happens to others - is that a minuscule (invisible to the eye) particle of sand (or whatever) found its way to my finger, the Ipad or more likely - my cleaning cloth.

You may never get a scratch on your screen. But you may. If you don't like way a screen protector feels/ looks then I don't blame you (and certainly would call you dumb for feeling this way). My screen protectors not noticeable to me in any way and I don't have to worry about scratches - so it's a no-brainer - FOR ME. As an added benefit, I can put my phone in my pocket with my keys, my rocks, my sand AND my diamonds.

19. detoxguy macrumors member

try a pouch....

I also hate screen protectors, they feel like crap, some are a pain to install, the anti-glare completely ruin the point of the retina display...

I used to buy a ton of cases (little obsessive with the first 3G...but got it under control by the time I got the 3GS) but eventually went naked on the screen but bought a sena ultraslim then the corsa and after a year of careful use both the screen and the back were perfect. I get to use the phone naked and when I'm not using it, it is safe in a protective pouch...best of both worlds. Already ordered one for the iPhone 4 but discovered to my surprise that the incipio feather i bought for it makes it fit perfect in my old 3GS ultraslim...

20. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I used a screen protector for one week with my first iPhone 3G then j took it off and I have never used one again! The screen protectors scratch very easily and decrease your viewing "pleasure". I thought "why should I look at my screen through a cheap scratched piece of plastic so that it will be perfect for some stranger when I sell it next year?! I NEVER had a single mark on the screen of my 3G and nothing on the front or back of my ip4.

Cheers.

21. eTip macrumors 6502

Are you sure you aren't just "really dumb"? Apparently, that alone causes scratches. Heh-heh.

22. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Wow... 99cents AND free shipping. How do they make money?

23. Worf macrumors regular

Rumor is these days that these plastic covers can be made as cheap as a dime for each one. So they'd still be making a good amount of profit with each cover. But thats just pure speculation. :rolleyes:

24. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

That wouldnt be very surprising. Im assuming these are shipping from HongKong, wouldnt it be fairly expensive? More than a dollar?

25. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

You really need to distinguish between scratching the actual glass and scratching the oleophobic coating. I have a 3G and whilst I did use for almost a year a PS screen protector the last year I did not use any. I have no scratching on the glass although I would say I have been quite careful. This, however, had no oleophobic coating.

The 3GS and the 4, however, have this coating and a close friend of my who has the former babied the phone far more than I did. He has some very small scratches. Go back a year ago and you will see very similar comments on this forum. Essentially, the coating itself is more prone to scratching.