iPhone 4 screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mike8480, May 16, 2011.

1. Mike8480 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just recently purchased an iPhone 4 and am wondering whether or not to get a screen protector. I am currently using an incase slider (which might change due to it slightly scratching my antenna) and carry my phone in my pocket by itself. I am very careful with my devices and constantly clean the screen to remove dust and finger prints. Do I really need a screen protector? I hate scratches, but screen protectors can get annoying, especially on such a beautiful screen. Thanks guys.

2. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i've read that incase slider is very tight fit, if you use screen protector + slider you might have bubbles showing up

3. Mike8480 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

It is a pretty snug fit (which is what I think has caused the scratches on the antenna) but if necessary I will get a new case.

4. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

eh... well if you plan on selling your phone and want it to be in good condition so you'll get more money out of it, then yeah i suggest you get a protector. since you don't want to ruin the beautiful screen, DO NOT get anti-glare protectors, it'll reduce the clarity to the screen. just get crystal screen protectors

5. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

I like my otterbox with built in protector... but if your dead set on the case you have, then like the ^^ poster said, grab a regular one. Anyone have good success with any particular brand?

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

PowerSupport Crystal and Zagg InvisibleShield are two that I'd recommend. I'm a long time user of Zagg and I have no complaints.

7. Mike8480 thread starter macrumors newbie

The power support crystal seems very nice actually, but very expensive at $27 on amazon.

8. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Do you really need a screen protector? Probably not. But I, as well as most others, play the game and get them, even though they really degrade the quality of the iPhone 4's retina display.

I went into the Apple Store back in January to get one and the sales guy said "you really don't one". He then walked over to the demo model, took out his keys and proceeded to try and scratch the hell out of the phone. He really took it to the phone. The result, not one scratch.

I am literally at the point where I am sick of screen protectors. I have tried most of them, but just get disgusted with the look of them versus the naked screen and end up removing them.

9. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

I've tried powersupport, SGP, Zagg and random ebay crystal protectors. Powersupport crystal clear is by a fair distance, the best I've ha.

10. Mike8480 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in the same position as you, I hate screen protectors because of their degradation of the screen however I am very OCD when it comes to scratches or blemishes. It seems like the screen is pretty stable though. Can anyone confirm if it is better than the iPod touch's screen when it comes to scratches?

11. Mike8480 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in the same position as you, I hate screen protectors because of their degradation of the screen however I am very OCD when it comes to scratches or blemishes. It seems like the screen is pretty stable though. Can anyone confirm if it is better than the iPod touch's screen when it comes to scratches?

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I have a Zagg applied to my fairly new iPhone 4. There is no screen degradation. I have no idea what you're talking about.

13. Mike8480 thread starter macrumors newbie

All of the screen protectors I have used with other devices seem to degrade the quality of the display.

14. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Zagg is WAY to tacky for me, my finger doesn't go across the screen as smoothly when it is applied.

my favorite goes out to Shieldskins.com, plus they give you a lifetime warranty, can't go wrong there

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

See, I don't have any of that either. /shrug

Both my iPad and iPhone aren't the least bit tacky.

16. Grimes macrumors regular

I've had a few different cases and the only cases that didn't cause the screen protector to get all screwed up were bumper style cases and cases that didn't cover the front at all (flush with front glass). The slider types, in my experiences, were all problematic with screen protectors.