Iphone 4 Screen Responsiveness Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SeanieM, Aug 25, 2011.

1. SeanieM macrumors newbie

I know this is my first post, but put yourself in my shoes.....

Ello all. I have an iphone 4 for nearly a year, and for the past week or so what I've noticed happening is that the screen wouldn't respond. What happens is I would unlock the phone as normal, access and app, press the home screen to bring up the main menu but I wouldn't be able to swipe across to the next page. The only remedy is I go into an app briefly which seems to refocus the screen, then I can swipe as normal. That's the most common one but what also happens is buttons would get stuck, for instance I was typing something the other day and went to delete a single letter but the backspace button on the keyboard stayed on, despite me putting the phone down on a table, subsequently deleting everything. Battery life has dramatically reduced as well. I updated the software but that hasn't remedied the situation at all. And the phone occasionally resets itself.

In summary the screen isn't responding properly, and somehow is affecting battery life I think. Has this happened to anyone else? Know of it happening? What worries me is that it's days (about 14) from the expiration of the warranty. Oh, and it hasn't been dropped or anything like that, at all. It seems to be software related. I was just hoping someone either from vodafone directly or a member of the public would have a solution, rather than me trying the restore function, if that can be avoided.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

3. SeanieM thread starter macrumors newbie

Not very. I don't have the exact figures to hand but about half full, including apps and pictures and music. Nothing excessive, the usual apps, (2.5 pages worth, no subcategories) and about 700 songs.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

What Version of iOS are you using? Are you Jailbroken? Unlocked?

5. SeanieM thread starter macrumors newbie

Capacity : 29.1GB
    Available : 20.8GB

Version 4.3.5 (8L1)

Not jailbroken or unlocked. I've had this on contract since last year and the warranty is up in 2 weeks.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Make a backup then restore the phone. However instead of restoring from a backup set the phone up as new and see if you still have issues. If not then it's software. If you do, it's hardware and I'd take it in to Apple or buy AppleCare before your warranty expires.

7. SeanieM thread starter macrumors newbie

What will I actually lose from the phone if I do that? And how do i do a full backup?

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you sync your phone and do a backup you won't lose anything once you restore from backup.

The reason I said to restore and setup as new is to test if it's software or hardware.