iPhone 4 screen unresponsive while in call

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by relienttu, Jan 18, 2011.

1. relienttu macrumors newbie

I have the 16gb model, originally purchased on launch day but replaced about a month ago (broken mic on top). For the last week or so, I have had to turn my phone off at the end of a call because the screen is unresponsive. I can't use any numeric menus (I have to hope the company sends rotary callers straight to assistance or I'm screwed) and I can't mess with any menus. When I press an icon, it turns blue but doesn't activate. When I turn the phone off, I have to hold my finger on the slider after I bring it over to get it to actuate.

I've cleaned the screen and looked into as much as I can but I can't find any fix to this issue. Have any of you had the same problem or am I alone in this? How can I fix it?

Edit: I forgot to mention that it's on the 4.2.1 OS. If there's any additional information needed, please ask.

2. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

messed up proximity sensor maybe? might have to take it back to apple again.

3. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Have you tried restoring the OS on the phone?

4. relienttu thread starter macrumors newbie

It might be... I'm not sure. :/ It seems to work fine when I'm in a call and I swipe my finger over it or whatever. It's just that the buttons don't "push".

I'm going to reset the OS this evening when I'm sure I won't need the phone for anything, but I'm not expecting it to fix anything. I haven't installed an update or any apps in a couple of weeks, so I don't know that it will work. I'll try it anyway, though.

5. relienttu thread starter macrumors newbie

Restoring the OS did nothing to help me. Am I going to have to return it AGAIN!?

6. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

must be bad luck... bring it to the store again and see what happens.