Iphone 4 Screen VERY Scratched!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by candn14, Aug 1, 2011.

1. candn14 macrumors newbie

Just bought an Iphone 4 on Ebay and the screen is VERY scratched! Not as described so talking to the seller at the moment.

Just wanted to figure out if i had any other options like the following:

Any techniques or products you can buy to remove or hid the scratches?

Or

Could you just replace the front screen and not the touch screen so you have a brand new screen?

Or

Do you guys have any other ideas, tips, help etc....

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

If I'd bought it from eBay and it was VERY scratched and not as described, I'd be sending it right back to the seller.

I know it's a pain - especially if you get to a dispute state - but if it's clearly not as described, I wouldn't be thinking of buying new screens, etc. - I'd just want my money back.

RTP.

3. MagicalWhiffle macrumors newbie

Personally I would fix it. Finding a good iPhone sale can be difficult, so if everything else works fine, then replacement of the glass is a relatively minor issue.

For the iPhone 4 the digitizer and LCD are glued together so you may have to buy both as one unit, and that can be something like $40 depending on where you get it. However, if you are somewhat technically inclined you can buy just the iPhone 4 digitizer for about $10. Removing the LCD from the digitizer can be difficult for some, so I do not recommend this if you're not good with electronic parts.

That's 3 options as far as I see it. (1) Return the phone and go back to fighting bidders for a sale, (2) Replace the screen and LCD for about $40, (3) Replace the digitizer and try to salvage the original LCD for about $10. It's just a question of how much your time is worth.