Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandonD101

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
you can get a set of precision screw drivers from a hardware store for about $5 if you get them from a RC shop or get some "special" iphone tool you will be paying more im sure

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
I have purchased the one on ifixit for the mac air that claims to work for the IP4. Let me be the first to say that it is not the correct one. They refunded my money as soon as I let them know. This is a very small screwdriver that is not being manufactured by anyone yet. If anyone finds where to get it , please let me know. It is smaller than the t3 ones.. I also got some on ebay and they also were too large.:(

Great glad to know i bought the wrong one. Why is ifix selling it and claiming it works for the iphone 4 new screws emailing them right now

soungz

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
Pentalobe-Screwdriver- size TS1
or Philloip - Screwdriver- size 00
Would be cover all generation of Iphone.
You can also look in the ebay or amazon to get one.

roy g

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
I use a Husky brand screwdriver size PH 000, I have found out that size 00 will strip your screw heads. You need to look at the package for size PH 000 @ any hardware store. I found mine at Home Depot. Only one package had size 000 out of about 50 sets.

Ray-

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Pentalobe-Screwdriver- size TS1
or Philloip - Screwdriver- size 00
Would be cover all generation of Iphone.
You can also look in the ebay or amazon to get one.

soungz is correct. Make sure you take a look of what type screws you have before you stick something in there or else you risk stripping the heads and they'll be stuck in there forever!

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
soungz is correct. Make sure you take a look of what type screws you have before you stick something in there or else you risk stripping the heads and they'll be stuck in there forever!

This. I didn't pay attention one time on the iPhone 4 and stripped one screw. :(

noxidrw

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Special Screw driver for Apple Products

The pentalobe screw driver is what Apple has switched over to, the size is 1.2 for iPhone 4 and some fasteners within the Apple Laptops.

They are not as redily available as normal Philips and slotted or even torx. They are typically used as tamper resistant fasteners.

Just because a small slotted or Phillips will work, does not mean it should be recommended. Use the right tool for the job.

These can be purchased online, I have seen them on ebay for about $7.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Actually, in 2013 they are readily available. If you don't have the nesseary tools already, just pick up a 9-piece kit for $5 with both the pentalobular star bit and philips #00, and you're good to go. Of course, a PicoFinish screwdriver will give you a whole different experience, though.
41dWYaQYX1L.jpg

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Its definitely not a philips screw head, you just need to look at it to see that. Its a five pointed shape which is a TORX, which is used by apple in nearly everything they make. Size would be a 5 or a 6 I would guess as I haven't got my TORXs at hand.

A philips screwdriver wouldn't work, you could try a flat headed precision screwdriver if you couldn't be bothered to get the correct one, however you might find it hard to get the right size.

Correct. However, 5 or 6 is still too big. I bought a 4 and it's still too big. I am going to order T-1, T-2, and T-3 this time. Other people are wrong and have never taken one apart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.