iphone 4 sending out data over 3g when connected to wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kilfrg7864, Aug 9, 2010.

1. kilfrg7864 macrumors newbie

so i am having an issue i know it may not be that big, but it still bugs me/ puzzles me nonetheless.

So ever since getting my iphone4 a few days ago i have been more or less constantly connected to wifi, but for some reason when i do *data#, it says that ive used almost 2MB of data. Now to most of you that may not seem like alot, but the problem is i have been connected to wifi this whole time, and i dont believe data should have been sent out. last night i went to sleep at about 4 and 1.4MB was used and now when i wake up 1.7MB was used.... whats going on here!

Now the reason im so concerned about this is because i am only on the 200MB limit and only want to be using data when i have to, and not having data being sent out randomly without me even doing anything!

i have notifications off( not sure if this does anything), and under mail i have fetch new data off/ push off/ fetch on manual, and the facebook app i turned all push notifications off.

I think i turned all those off properly.... if not could anyone put some direction on how to turn all all that stuff (just incase im missing something?)

But yea... so anyone have any suggestions on why data is being transferred when im not even using the phone??

thanks for any help!

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Disable cellular data when you aren't using it.

3. kilfrg7864 thread starter macrumors newbie

will that allow me to still receive calls/ texts? I was reading on apples website what that does and was somewhat confused as it said no MMS and other stuff.... But even without disabling it shouldnt my phone not be sending data out? Or do all phones send data periodically?

4. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

To that, I'd disable Cellular Data then try to send a text.

5. kilfrg7864 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay well it looks like i can still get texts and calls with it off!

But back to the original question. what could be causing it to be sending out data by itself? If i have to i will disable cellular data when i dont need it, but if i can get away with not doing that itd be bettter because turning it on and off every time i need it seems like if be a hassle to me.

6. michaelfields macrumors regular

I've been wondering this as well. Idk if it counts data sent/received even on wifi maybe but I've been almost entirely on wifi and had my phone maybe 4 days and it says I've sent 20 mb and received 80 mb.

I really don't mind because I have unlimited but still.

7. infowarfare macrumors 6502

I think you are confusing the 200MB text plan with the 2GB (or Unlimited) data plan. If you are on the 200MB text plan, that is not where this 2MB of "data" is coming out of. Where it is most likely coming from, even when you are on WiFi, periodically and especially when you use any "location services" the iPhone triangulates your position using the cell towers first (data), then WiFi base stations near by, then the GPS satellites.

8. kilfrg7864 thread starter macrumors newbie

no i am limited to 200MB of data per billing cycle. Is there any way to turn off all location services? in general>location services i have location services on, but all the apps below it are off... Should i just turn location services off completely?

9. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

Turning off Cellular Data will allow texting, but not allow MMS (pix) texting.

10. michaelfields macrumors regular

11. benrye macrumors newbie

Any update on this?

My iphone4 does the same, o2 here in the uk have finally agreed to a new handset. It sent 8MB alone while I was talking to them and it was connected to my wifi network!