iPhone 4 Serial number

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by surfologist87, Nov 22, 2012.

1. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Water damaged and wont turn on. Been this way for a few months so there is no hope for it.

I know there is one on the sim tray, but the guy at the peach mac store couldnt do a $149 out of warranty swap because the little "plastic tab" next to the battery with the serial number on it (I guess its a second location to confirm the sim tray serial) is missing??

Is there any other location for the serial number? He said he couldnt go by only the sim tray because that is too easy to swap out. I really need to replace my phone :(

Thanks in advance

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

As far as i know, the only places the serial number is, is in settings and the sim tray/battery.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try going in again and talking to another rep.
    Just tell them you want to pay the out of warranty fee.
    They should just pull it up with the sim tray info since they cant get it from the 2nd location and the phone wont turn on to go into settings.

4. surfologist87 thread starter macrumors 6502

He said he couldnt go by the sim tray because that is too easy to swap from another phone, he needed to confirm it. I might just try a real apple store and see what happens. This store just opened up, so all the kids there are pretty new. They were nice though.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes but that shouldn't be your fault.
    You are paying the fee anyway so I don't see why they don't want to help you.
    It's not like you're getting the replacement for free.

6. NEvolution macrumors regular

Replacements are linked to the serial number. So if the serial number cannot be 100% verified to be exactly the same as the device then there is a chance that someone else's serial number can be affected.
    Apple is not 'just' giving you a new phone even though you're paying for it.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If the battery tab is missing, the phone has been opened previously. On an iPhone 4, the serial is stuck in barcode form to the antenna, next to the battery, which is glued down on top of the plastic tab - it can't just go missing.

I hate to break it to you, but if someone has opened the phone Apple wont swap it, even out of warranty.

The fee is there for accidents - not abuse. Opening up your phone and tampering with it is classed as abuse.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I went in with the same prob.
    The phone wouldnt even turn on so they got the serial from the sim tray on my 3GS. They did not even open it to verify the imei in 2 locations.
    They were trying to help me not argue and fight with a customer and turn them away.
    Just saying, if the OP goes in he might get a more helpfull rep that wont go the extra mile not to help him with his issue.

Its worth a try, that's all Im saying.
    I brought a few iphones that wouldnt turn on at all and they did out of warranty replacements for them without openning them up at all.
    That's all Im suggesting. The Apple stores are so busy the dont sit there and open them all up to examine them.
    Is it ok with you if he tries again with Apple? Chances are he might get lucky in the end.

9. surfologist87 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to revive an old thread, but the iphone with the missing serial number tab was actually a replacement from apple to begin with. I got it from them less than a year before i accidentally trashed it again. I still have the damaged phone, but i just ended up buying a new iphone. I never opened it by the way, i never needed to.

Would it be worth trying to take it in to apple and getting a new one, for what is it still $150? For a backup phone. Since apparently i could use one

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

[/COLOR]
    Give it a shot man.
    Hope you get someone helpfull instead of useless reps like you got before.

11. surfologist87 thread starter macrumors 6502