iPhone 4 set-up Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jjuchems, Jul 16, 2012.

1. jjuchems macrumors newbie

So I bought my iPhone used on ebay. I an trying to decide if I want to switch from Android to an iPhone without setting my self-up for 2 years of hating my phone.

When I bought the phone the seller said it was stuck in DFU mode, it was not since it had the iTunes and data cable picture. It was stuck in Recovery and when trying to use iTunes to fix the issue I always got error 1 message or another, never able to finish the process. I tried it on my windows 7 laptop and my wife's XP Pro. Her computer has never had iTunes installed until today. I was able to pull it out of recovery Mode by using redsn0w recovery fix. My issue now is that i go through set-up assistant, choose English, United States, allow location, and then it asked to be attached to iTunes. iTunes in return looks and looks and knows that an iPhone is attached but can not sync. Again I have an iPhone 4, CDMA version that is suppose to be for the Sprint network.

Any help/advise would greatly be appreciated.

Jason

2. jjuchems thread starter macrumors newbie

The message from iTunes is: " We're sorry we are able to continue with your activation at this time. Please try again later or contact customer care."

3. firstDave macrumors newbie

Most likely the previous owner removed the SIM card from it and reset/wiped it to factory fresh.

You'll need to 'Hactivate' it to use. I've used redsn0w / sn0wbreeze and the correct .ipsw file, iirc, to do this.

4. jjuchems, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

jjuchems thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. This iPhone 4 does not have a SIM card tray on the right side.

Edit:

Upper left hand side it states searching and I see no WiFi symbol.

5. firstDave macrumors newbie

My mistake. CDMA, not GSM, so no SIM. In any case, a Hactivate still should work. But I've only done it on a GSM phone, so YMMV.

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Use redsn0w to jailbreak, during the process it wil ask to activate, do so.

7. jjuchems thread starter macrumors newbie

That is how I recovered the phone from DFU mode.