iPhone 4 settings resets after reboot

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gslrider, Jul 6, 2011.

1. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

I've finally updated from 4.1 to 4.3.3 back in June. Except for the wifi issues that has plagued me since upgrading to my first iP4 back in Oct 2010 (on my second one as of June 2011). I'm happy to say that I have not experienced most of the issues people have posted when they updated to 4.3.3. ie. texts being deleted, reminder alerts not not going off, or going off the amount of times you set it to, SIM card stops working, pics being blacked out.

However, there are two issues that I am experiencing which is quite annoying. One, is the known issue of lags. Everything I do now, from unlocking my phone from sleep (I have to do a couple of swipes of the bar because the first time doesn't move it), swiping from page to page, launching apps, closing apps, deleting apps, and downloading apps, there is about a 1-2 second delay. The other is something that I've only heard of once, which is after a reboot of the phone, certain settings get reset to default. For me specifically, it's screen brightness, battery percentage, ringtones assigned, and sms preview. I've been having some issues with certain apps quitting on me (I have done the delete and re-download method for those apps, didn't work), and seems the only way to fix it for a little while is to reboot my phone. But everytime I reboot, those settings get defaulted. Just those settings, nothing else.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you ever find a solution? I've already reset and restored my phone twice, but still no fix. Thanks for the input.

2. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

When you did a restore, did you restore from a backup? It's very possible something in your backup is causing a conflict and giving you all those issues.

3. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

Yes and no.

This is a more detailed explanation:

Started having issues after updating to 4.3.3. Did the usual troubleshooting methods but no luck. Took it to Apple and they replaced iP4 with another one running 4.3.3. Because the reset issues seems to happen inconsistently, it was hard for me to test before restoring the phone to how I had it. Because I need certain apps, I was only able to go with a factory default phone for about a day. Lags still occured, and the 3 reboots I did through out the day didn't reset my settings (which were brightness, alert sounds, ringtone assign, battery percentage and sms preview), cross fingers. So after that day, I restored my phone back to what it was. The lag issue still there. But I rebooted my phone twice and no reset. Looked promising. A couple of days later, rebooted the phone again, no reset. Awesome. Next day however, I decided to reboot the phone again (as part of ongoing troubleshooting), settings metioned...reset. I then proceeded to put them back to how I had it. Rebooted the phone, no reset. Kept doing this for a few days, reset occurred about 3 out of about 6 or 7 times in that period. So it seems pretty random, but does occur.

I've been told it could be a hardware issue. But doesn't explain how my previous iP4 didn't have this issue before the 4.3.3 update. And that the replacement running 4.3.3 has it as well.

4. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Hmm, very strange. To be honest, I use 4.3.3 daily and have loaded a ton of phones with it and have never really seen that issue. To me, it seems like there is something in your backup. I'm going to assume your phones not jailbroken either so that's out of the question.

You mentioned that you couldn't really test the phone from a fresh load because there were apps you needed. Why not restore the phone and just load the apps, contacts and other things you need manually? It will be a hassle and time consuming but at least you'll know if it's just something in your backup files.

5. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

Have the phones you've dealt with rebooted? That's the only time it happens. And not all the time. As I mentioned, of about 7 reboots, it only reset 3 times. And they were all spread out. As well, it's unclear how a bad file will only affect certain settings to reset, on random reboots, and not anything else. Assuming it is a bad file causing it. I'm guessing, that I didn't have this issue prior to 4.3.3, and the settings affected are specific (others have reported the same settings to reset for them as well after updating to 4.3.3) it's a good possibility it's an iOS issue. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced it and found a fix.

I would try your recommendation, but I've gotten to be pretty tired of it (I've done those things many times since the inception of 4.0). As they never fixed my issues, but did waste a lot of time troubleshooting. And time is money in my position. The only time my issue with my previous 4 3GSs running 4.0.x, was when I got upgraded to the iP4 for my troubles, and it was running under 4.1. It's not a huge deal as my phone still runs as a phone. And apart from the lags, occasional app quits, and wifi drops, it's tolerable. I'll just have to refrain from rebooting every so often, and when I do I'll just have to suck it up and re-input the settings as I had it. Hopefully iOS 5 will have corrected many of the issues people are having with 4.x.x. And hopefully, the iP5 won't be delayed and will run much, much better with the new iOS 5.

Thanks for your time. If I find anything more about this issue, or have the time to do the patented one at a time reinstall of apps and test, I'll post the results. :)

6. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

I've never seen an issue with random reboots. I run a repair shop and we also deal with phone sales so I've had a lot of 4's come in and out with 4.3.3 problem-free. Maybe we've just been lucky, I'm not sure.

I guess there is a possibility that there's a hardware issue and it just affects a small number of users with 4.3.3. If that's the case though, the only suggestion is taking it back to Apple and getting another replacement. That's just as much, if not more of a hassle then trying the "one at a time" restore.

The last option I can think of is seeing if you have the ability to downgrade. A lot of replacement phones we run across have previous SHSH's saved. If yours does as well, you can try a lower firmware version and see if that helps.

Sorry we couldn't figure it out. :confused: Hope you get it resolved.

7. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

Oh...it's not a random reboot problem...which was actually a real issue with the 3GS and 4.0, when people's phones would just reboot while on a call or just sitting on the table. Happened to all 4 of my 3GSs, which is why I got upgraded to the iP4...it's an issue that when I reboot, sometimes the brightness, sms preview, battery percentage, alert tones and ringtones assigned gets reset to factory default. It doesn't happen every time I reboot, hence why I mentioned it was a random occurrence when I rebooted. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Since it's more of preference rather than actual functionality of the phone. It's something that I can cope with till I can upgarde.

Downgrading usual does help most people, but then that would mean I'd have to jailbreak my phone, which I've never been interested in. Sometimes too when you jailbreak, it can cause more issues. Issues that would affect the actual functionality of the phone. Which is a chance I prefer not to take. I may just see if I can get another iP4. But you are right, sometimes doing that is just as much a hassle as reinstalling apps one a time. Which I've done many times before. lol

8. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Ah, ok. I must have just misunderstood the reboot thing. I got what you were saying with the settings reset after a reboot, but I thought you mean it would also reboot on it's own. Either way, it is a weird issue and I can't say that I'm familiar with it.

Anyhow, you don't need to jailbreak to downgrade. You can simply download TinyUmbrella to see if you have SHSH files stored already. If you do, TU will let you load off those old files and no jailbreak is necessary.

9. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

10. DivaSousa macrumors newbie

Wipe?

I was actually wondering just how much info gets wiped when performing a remote wip from FindMyiPhone
    I have (had) an iPhone4 on the 5.0 software but it was recently stolen (like, at gunpoint, so I'm never getting it back). I immediately went to a friend's house, grabbed her iphone & logged onto her FindMyIPhone app using MY username & password to try & track my phone but its location was unavailable & i was told that that's because the theif had powered off my phone (or thrown it into a river). I'm thinking I should do a remote wipe from the FindMyIphone app just incase the theif still has the phone & looks up my address, my contacts, or my accounts info.... I've already bought a new (used) iPhone & streamed all my info from iCloud so the info is useless to me, i was just wondering how safe i would really be by wiping it? Pics, contacts, ringtones, bookmarks, what gets wiped?

11. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

It is equivalent to going into settings and selecting "Erase All Content & Settings". Pretty much a Factory Restore sans being connected to iTunes.

12. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

If it was trashed into a river, then you have nothing to worry about. If you've done the remote wipe properly you should be good to go. However, apparently when it comes to iMessage, there was a bug found, that even after wiping the old phone or stolen phone, that phone was still getting messages. http://bit.ly/sfI7lL As well, there seems to be a way of retrieving deleted text messages. http://bit.ly/5STfdf So really texts/iMessages are really the only things you may need to be concerned about.

Just out of curiosity, did you have Passcode activated on your phone?

13. DivaSousa macrumors newbie

Omg

Omg!!! Its not in a river! Last week I recieved an email from FindMyiPhone saying that my phone was located in the Dominican Republic. Coincidentally, I was in an Apple store purchasing a MacBookAir (my first computer ever) The staff told me that police won't do much once a phone leaves the country so I should just log into FindMyiPhone & remotely wipe it (again). They told me locking it is useless cause u can override that by plugging it in & restoring it. I wanted to set my Macbook preferences before leaving the store & I proceeded to upload everything from iCloud when I suddenly saw some strange guy in my iPhoto. I clicked info & saw that the pic was taken in Dominican Republic! There were also screen shots of his wallpaper & lock screen (in spanish!!!) and a pic of a pic that i had taken but it looked like he used my adobe photoshop app to scribble on it! How can use my pics & apps if the phone was wiped???? What do i do?!