iPhone 4 Shipment Confirmation Links to Others' Orders???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by G2244, Jun 20, 2010.

1. G2244 macrumors member

G2244

Okay I thought maybe I was just seeing things but I have been able to replicate this twice now. I got my shipment notification from Apple.com. In the email is a link to my order # (which reads correctly). When I click the link, I am shown someone else's order!! After the link it shows the order number as mine, but the Sales Ref Number and the tracking number are not mine. Essentially the Sales Ref Number is the phone number on the account (again not mine).

So as best as I can tell, somehow Apple is exposing (EDIT: NOT phone numbers and) iPhone 4 tracking numbers that do not belong to the people seeing the information. Has anyone else noticed this??

2. G2244 thread starter macrumors member

G2244

WTF? When I try to call Apple Customer Support to notify them of the issue, I get a message that they are too busy to take my call.

3. Sinfire macrumors regular

I tried it and the serial number on the phone and my tracking number is mine. The reference is some random phone number belonging to someone, but I really don't care about that.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I think folks are mistaking the reference number for a phone number because it "looks" like a phone number but really isn't.

I'd be willing to bet most orders have a reference number that starts with the number 7.

5. norwegian wood macrumors regular

mine starts with with a 7, and it is not my phone number.. they would not use your phone number as your sales reference number

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That's your order number not the reference number.

7. G2244 thread starter macrumors member

G2244

Well the first time I linked to "my order" it showed it as a 32Gb model, but my real order is a 16Gb model. Not sure what is going on but I was clearly seeing someone else's order.

8. nparmelee macrumors 6502

The reference number isn't your order number or your phone number, mine starts with a number that is not an existing area code. Deep breath, no need to panic. My reference number starts with an 8.

9. Clusty macrumors regular

My reference number IS my billing address phone number, which is different than my cell phone number.

10. G2244 thread starter macrumors member

G2244

The reference number on the FedEx tracking is my phone number, but I was worried that the reference number on the order itself was a phone number which I am convinced now is not the case.

I still somehow did see a 32 Gb model when I first linked to the order but now can't recreate that. Yes, hopefully this was just one small glitch and I need to relax a bit...

Sorry for what seems to be an unnecessary alarm. :eek:

11. norwegian wood macrumors regular

its weird that the fedex reference number is your phone number... your phone number should not be used as any sort of reference number or tracking number