iPhone 4 - should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stealth100, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Stealth100, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

Stealth100 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm wondering if I should buy the iPhone 4.

I've have had an iPhone 3G and an iPhone 3GS previously. I love the phone for various reasons; specifically the OS and App Store. It's just way ahead in that category.

I have a few concerns, if anyone could provide their opinion on them, that would be fantastic.

• Antenna problem - I heard a case will fix this, I always use a case on my iPhone's so it could be fine?
    • Six months until the next iPhone - do you think it's worth buying right now?

Thanks!

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

1) A case makes the antenna problem a nonissue. Even without a case, I've never had an issue with dropping calls due to it, but that'll depend on the service in your area.

2) What phone are you using now? Keep in mind we aren't guaranteed a new iPhone in June 2011, but you are right that it is very likely. Whether or not you should wait is a personal decision and depends on your current situation.

3. Wang Foolio macrumors regular

If you've got both 3G and 3GS models in the past, I can only assume you won't be getting a subsidized purchase price for an iPhone 4. Or you'll have some cancellation issues, one way or the other it's going to be pricey.

At this point in the game, I'd probably wait the next 6 months out until the next model is released. You don't really get very good deals on the current iPhone model until right before the new ones come out anyway. Instead of a pricy upgrade today that you might be regretting in 6 months, I'd feel more comfortable waiting, myself.

If it's true that the new phones will have a much easier time supporting various network technologies (or will simply be made available on more networks), then it might be worth the wait. The Retina display and other features new to the iPhone 4 are almost certainly all going to be present on the new model (unless they get upgraded).

If you have some urgent need to get a new phone now (the old one is broken/having issues/whatever) then that might be another story.

4. Stealth100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

Thanks for the responses.

I'll be getting the phone on pay and go thus making contract deals a non-issue.

The only real concern I have about the iPhone 4 is the antenna. With the 3G and 3GS I always had strong signal as I live in a city but neither had the "death grip".

I understand that a "bumper" prevents the "death grip" but from what I've been told by my friend, having a case which completely covers the back as well as the sides still results in poor signal quality.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Bridging a specific gap on the left side between two antennas with my thumb results in a 3-bar drop. This does not drop calls. This does happen at all with a case on.

Since I don't obsess about bars and it doesn't drop calls, it is a non-issue for me.

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

First, the "death grip" is a silly term for simply bridging the gap of metal on the lower left side, as ActionableMango stated before me. Second, I have a bumper on my iPhone and it completely prevents this issue. It's really not an issue to begin with, but I can get the phone to drop a bar or two by placing a finger over that gap. This is obviously impossible with the bumper and you get no bar drop. The case does not need to cover anything else (back, front, whatever). If you want the phone, this blown-out-of-proportion antenna issue should not stop you.

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Unless you actually have someone you want to FaceTime with, the retina display alone is not worth upgrading for. Capacities are the same as the 3GS. If you are worried about antenna issues and have none right now, stick with what works!! The differences between the phones aren't that much.

Or, see what you can get for a used 3GS on eBay and cost that against the price of a new iPhone 4.

8. Nachos macrumors member

Nachos

Just buy it.

Definitely buy it. In contrary to others, I think the Retina Display alone is worth is. It just makes you happy every time you use it :D. I have had iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS and bought iPhone 4 when it was released. Its definitely worth it!

I have never had any signal problems even though i never used a cover. Why cover up something so beautiful? :p

Apple releases a new iphone every year or so. There will always be a reason to wait. If you really want it, GET IT!

Besides you can always sell it and buy the new one when they release it, that’s what I do.

Good luck with the decision ;)

9. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

In your opinion.

And oh, in my opinion, it sure as hell is worth upgrading for the display. It's the best bit about the iPhone 4, aside from the speed and new design.

10. mstrze, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

mstrze macrumors 68000

For me: speed, retina display and HD video recording are what make me want to make the leap...however, my 3G still works very well and I am at about the point where I have to say I can wait 6-7 more months to upgrade...unless my phone dies before then.:eek:

OP...since you are already used to getting the 'latest and greatest'...I'd say make the jump. As everyone else has said, the antenna thing is a non-issue for 99.9% of iPhone 4 owners and since you already have a strong signal, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

11. Jenko macrumors regular

I am in the same boat at the moment and I have decided to go for an 18 month contract here in Ireland as it actually works out cheaper and a better deal with a lot more extras than buyin the i phone 4 sim free. I am going for the 32gb as I will have the phone probably for 2 years and need the extra gigs. I would not hold out unless you want the latest and greatest. If the phone ticks all your boxes with regard to its use then go for it a six months is a long way off and whos to say they will change it completely. They will obviously have to sought out the antenna issue, which has been blown out of all proportion, but in fairness what more could you wnat from a smartphone?

12. Stealth100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. :)

I think I'm going to buy the iPhone 4. The antenna issue seemly been blown out of proportion, it seems that some users do not even experience issues with the antenna even without a bumper. Just to confirm, a normal case which covers both the back and the sides works fine?

13. Stealth100 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick this phone up SIM free in time for Christmas.

I have one more question, I heard that when you hold the phone horizontally and your hand is covering the bottom left front of the device, you lose connectivity.

Is this the case?

Sorry for all of the questions, just a big investment and I want to make sure I won't get any problems with a case. :)

14. Lefty29 macrumors newbie

Lefty29

Death Grip

Stealth100,

I can say that yes, you will experience attenuation without a case (especially if you hold it as described), but a case covering the whole the sides and entire back works just fine. I've been using one since day one and done various testing with and without it. Also, to reaffirm the other posters comments, the whole "death grip" thing has been blown out of proportion. A case will quash any issues you may have.

15. Stealth100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response.

I've always used my phone with a case, so I understand that the drop in signal will be a non-issue. Holding your phone in your right hand should not be problem either.

Is the problem I previously stated valid? How if you hold your phone horizontally for example playing a game and covering the bottom left with your hand, you get reception issues?

I'm buying the phone today and going to get a case.

Thanks for all the responses.