iPhone 4: should I do a DIY repair?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by php111, Mar 3, 2015.

1. php111 macrumors regular

Hello,

As of right now as in currently I have a GSM only iPhone 5S with Verizon.

I have an older CDMA only iPhone 4 with Verizon. Now the iPhone 4 will not power on or anything. Yes, I do have an Apple charger. Yes, the charger works fine because it charged up my iPod Classic just fine. Should I do a DIY repair based on what I am going to explain what happended? At the time my iPhone 4 died and it needed a charge and that time I did not have a reliable charger. All I had was crappy chargers. I do not mean crappy chargers like cheap Amazon Apple chargers. I mean crappy chargers like chargers went bad and trying to charge a phone and on and off constantly making charging sounds and the next you know the phone will not do anything and no red battery indicator. It will not even give any sign to enter either DFU nor recovery.

I am the most horrible person doing repairs but I could maybe give a shot. I am not a handyman because I cannot even remove basic screws because I would be screwless. LOL.

2. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

4. dyt1983, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

5. dannyz7365 macrumors newbie

6. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Lmao.

----------

Double lmao.

7. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Verizon is a CDMA network, you can't use a GSM-only model on Verizon.

Chances are you will end up with a trashed iPhone if you attempt a repair. I'd sell it for parts.

8. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Very easy to replace the battery. I have done it hundreds of times. (literally). Look up the DIY on iFixit and follow them word for word. You will be fine.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Watch out for all of the screws, they get lost very easily. It helps to make a diagram of which ones go where.