iPhone 4 Signal bar become numeric numbers..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by or1onz, Aug 14, 2010.

1. or1onz macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I have this problem on my iPhone as I accidentally restore my configurations on my iPod touch to my iPhone..

So basically my phone is showing some like this (See attachment). The signal bar becomes numeric numbers...

Does anyone have any ideas to make the numbers go away to become bar again?
    Tried re-storing but won't work :(

Attached Files:

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Well, this is an interesting situation. What I'd give to have the actual measurement of signal :D

It seems like the restore had the option of the signal as numbers activated, since the touch didn't have a cellular radio it was never shown on screen.

It used to be pre 4.0 that dialling the number: *3001#12345#* would switch this option on (and I presume off, never used it myself)

This option is no longer available in the 4.0 OS thus I don't believe you can simply turn it off from the phone, at least not by dialling that number. You would need to restore the phone again where the backup didn't have that option activated but since all you might have is that iPod touch I'm not sure how you would turn it off.

3. or1onz thread starter macrumors newbie

At first I wouldn't mind having the actual measurement of signal ;)

But then when I thought what if something does go wrong with the hardware itself and I needed to take it back to Apple.. I would have to re-virginize my phone to show no sign of jailbreak.

Well, I am thinking of 1 way to solve the problem.

1) Find a friend who just bought a new iPhone
    2) Force my iPhone into DFU mode in his computer to re-store my iPhone
    3) And hopefully hopes the numbers become bars

Well.. any opinions? =/

[Edited]
    I am using IOS 4.0.1 now. If I have to restore from DFU, am I force to download and install IOS 4.0.2?

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

The way I see it you will want to restore the phone, then instead of restoring from backup you just select the "start as new phone" option.

That of course will mess you up a bit since any saved data for the apps will be gone but if you don't want to see those numbers again you're gonna need to consider that backup as void.

That or theres a way of editing the backup files manually to turn that option off, I'm not sure of that.

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Did you Jailbreak? SBsettings can change the signal meter

6. or1onz thread starter macrumors newbie

To Darwin,
    A question before I starts DFU and get into a mess if anything goes wrong.
    I am on IOS 4.0.1 and as of now, normal restoring will push me into 4.0.2.
    If I uses DFU to restore and select the "start as new phone" option, will my phone stays at 4.0.1 or I will be forced to update to 4.0.2?

My phone is still new (2nd day) and there are not much of data inside so I can save everything again slowly. =)

To Roy,
    Guess I have forgotten to look at SBsettings...
    Yeap now my phone displays signal bars now. Wondering will it stays the same in bars if I restore..?

Cheers mates.

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

It hadn't occurred to me that you had Jailbroken your phone, you had mentioned it but I missed that comment at the end of the sentence.

Since the signal numbers was the result of the SBsettings app then you will see the bars by default if you restored it to a non-broken state.

As for your restoring, the backup itself doesn't hold an image of the OS, just config files and a copy of the databases used by apps etc. If you are able to skip the actual re-flashing of the device to 4.0.2 then uploading that backup shouldn't cause you to upgrade.

Since it is only 2 days old it might be easier to start again rather then chance it :D

8. or1onz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I tried to restore.

But it always iTunes always asked to 'Restore and update' and connects to the update server straight away =/

If this continue, eventually I will have to update my photo to 4.0.2, isn't it? :(

9. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

10. or1onz thread starter macrumors newbie