Iphone 4 signal issue could easily be fixed? (just a thought)

macman20

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I am not sure if someone has point this out before but what u guys think if apple would rotate the housing (outside antenna) 180 degree. Means signal drop area is now in your upper right hand corner instead of bottom left corner. 99% of people don't touch the upper right hand side of a phone while talking. Reason iphone 3g and 3gs has no signal drop is because no one press their palm hard enough to actually touch the antenna. :) Just a thought. Love to hear your inputs

whocaresit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010
Yes, that is one possibility.

And, the other way they can mitigate the antenna problem is by spraying non-conductive material over steel band.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Sept 30th = Jack **** I'll get a chuckle if that's the date they just stop giving cases out and nothing else.

Anyway isn't it at the lower portion of the phone due to FCC regulations and radiation guidelines?

I think they should have put the seams on the bottom of the phone or at each bottom corner.

macman20

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Sept 30th = Jack **** I'll get a chuckle if that's the date they just stop giving cases out and nothing else.

Anyway isn't it at the lower portion of the phone due to FCC regulations and radiation guidelines?

I think they should have put the seams on the bottom of the phone or at each bottom corner.
There is no space to put it on bottom. I think just rotating the antenna would probably fix it. I am not an expert on this but rotating would not cause any design edition.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
There is no space to put it on bottom. I think just rotating the antenna would probably fix it. I am not an expert on this but rotating would not cause any design edition.
I think I need pics, but wouldn't that basically point the antenna towards the top of your head where it's not really supposed to be?

macman20

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I think I need pics, but wouldn't that basically point the antenna towards the top of your head where it's not really supposed to be?
It will be but its not like almost covering the whole area with your finger.:)

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
It will be but its not like almost covering the whole area with your finger.:)
So just to clarify, you'd rather have radiation zapping your brain with somewhat unknown effects than just avoiding a 2mm clearly visible black seam in low signal areas at the bottom of the phone that totally can be avoided with a case?

Just checking.

:)

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
So just to clarify, you'd rather have radiation zapping your brain with somewhat unknown effects than just avoiding a 2mm clearly visible black seam in low signal areas at the bottom of the phone that totally can be avoided with a case?
Is there any actual research to support that having the antenna a few centimeters closer to your brain is going to have any effect? I mean old cellphones all had the antenna in the the top, usually you could even pull it out of the phone to try and get better reception. Granted, the networks used back then weren't as high output.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Is there any actual research to support that having the antenna a few centimeters closer to your brain is going to have any effect? I mean old cellphones all had the antenna in the the top, usually you could even pull it out of the phone to try and get better reception. Granted, the networks used back then weren't as high output.
Not sure, just everything I have seen references new guidelines that direct a company to put the antenna away from the users head. Not sure if it's true or not but I'm not up for taking the risk.

I imagine a few inches could make a difference actually, but who knows.

http://www.cultofmac.com/antenna-ex...sponsible-for-iphone-4-reception-issues/48386

Just about every cell phone in current production has the antenna located at the bottom. This insures that the radiating portion of the antenna is furthest from the head. Apple was not the first to locate the antenna on the bottom, and certainly won’t be the last. The problem is that humans have their hands below their ears, so the most natural position for the hand is covering the antenna. This can’t be a good design decision, can it? How can we be stuck with this conundrum? It’s the FCC’s fault.

You see, when the FCC tests are run, the head is required to be in the vicinity of the phone. But the hand is not!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
There is nothing that specifically states where the antenna has to be. The rules are about how much radiation can enter your head, and the best way to minimize this is to put the antenna at the bottom. If the antenna was placed at the top, they would have to lower the amount of signal power the device can produce, which would make reception worse.

I'm sure if there is really an "easy" solution to the problem, Apple would have thought of it already.

Krevnik

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2003
Yes, that is one possibility.

And, the other way they can mitigate the antenna problem is by spraying non-conductive material over steel band.
As noted in a few articles, Stainless Steel is called Stainless for a reason. It doesn't pick up coatings like that very easily. You'd almost be better off incorporating a thin rubber into the frame/band design that covers the outside of the band and attaches to the frame in the same places as the band to hold it in place and hide any seams.