iPhone 4 signal loss issue resolved with AT&T MicroCell

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Logic2i, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Logic2i macrumors newbie

I have recently received a free 3G MicroCell from AT&T. Once everything was connected and my iPhone 4 was setup on the MicroCell, I couldn't reproduce the left corner antenna issue. When I placed my finger over the two metal sides, the five bars stayed on screen without a single drop in signal.

To test, I unplugged the MicroCell, placed a finger over the two metal antennas until all five bars dropped to zero. Then I powered up the MicroCell making sure not to remove my finger from the bottom left corner of the iPhone. Once the MicroCell's 3G status indicator light was on, all five bars filled up one by one all while my finger was still on the trouble area.

Hopefully this information helps those who are constantly fighting the left corner antenna issue as I was. Unfortunately this only helps if you are within 5000 sq ft of your MicroCell. The good thing for me is that I usually talk on the iPhone while at home therefore this is a functional workaround.

Lastly I'm wondering if this could be some of the reason why AT&T sent out free MicroCells? I'm curious to know anyone's thoughts?

2. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

But your basically using your home connection to get service, like a router correct, Idk tho as I don't have a Micro cell in my home.

3. GUNZILLA macrumors newbie

I think they connect to your wifi and convert to 3G? If thats the case whats the point, just connect your iphone to the wifi

4. Logic2i thread starter macrumors newbie

I use the 3G MicroCell in order to make calls (and so far no dropped calls have occurred while using it). The calls are then transmitted over the internet or VOIP similar to Skype however this seems to work significantly better than Skype. The MicroCell is also used for sending and receiving sms messages within AT&T's system, something you cannot do over wifi alone unless you use a special sms app. So yes, I do still use wifi but in conjunction with AT&T's version of VOIP - the MicroCell.