iPhone 4 signal strength question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deraj090, May 9, 2011.

1. deraj090 macrumors regular

Hey guys...

Coming from a Blackberry 9700 -- I'm noticing less signal strength in areas where I used to have full signal strength with my Blackberry 9700 -- i.e. on my desk in my office. Is this expected with the iPhone4 vs the Blackberry?

Thanks!
    J

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

There is no standard for displaying signal strength. You can't compare the signal display between phones. You need to compare performance. :cool:

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

iPhones are generally not known for great reception.

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Apple changed the the reception readings in a past update on the iphone 4. It was incorrectly displaying too many bars for low signal. All of a sudden 3 bars became 2 and so on. I cant remember where i read the article, but it re calibrated and showed -90 to -100 db as 2 bars for example. Oddly, my droid X gave me a reading of -90 to -100 at home and that correlated to 2 bars on the phone. My iphone 4 also displays 2 bars at home. So for me, the iphone reception is as good as the Droid X.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

As long as you get good service I wouldnt worry much about the bars displayed up there.
    Sometimes even with full bars you will drop calls or get slow data.

6. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I agree here - this happens to me fairly regularly, living in an area of not-so-stellar service. I can have full bars and data speeds at a crawl, or one bar and faster data speeds than ever. Bars are really just a bad judge and shouldn't be taken into too much consideration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. risingup macrumors newbie

how can this be connected Signal strength of iphone has no connection with iPhone .. Your question confused me.

8. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys...

I may have misworded my post. For example, in places I typically have great data speeds on my 9700, I found I wasn't even able to refresh my inbox on the iPhone. Is this something I should expect?

9. mltaylor macrumors regular

Don't think I know anybody who expects an iPhone that doesn't refresh your inbox. I would say you have a bad iPhone if anything. I always have better "signal" strength on my iPhone than I did on my Blackberry. I say "signal" because of how they show the bars isn't good for comparison, but I did have times where I didn't have 3g on my Blackberry and did on my iPhone.

Side note I have since moved from that area of terrible, terrible coverage.

10. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

the Apple store plugged it into their diagnostic app, and everything seemed to come up healthy... What are my options? I'm still under the 1-year warranty, and may pick up the AppleCare just in case...

11. icewing macrumors 6502

When was the last time you restarted your iPhone? I've had situations where it was showing 1 bar, download speed was lousy, rebooted the phone resulted in more bars and faster web.

I try to reboot at least once a week...seems to help, ymmv.

12. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Yes it is. I've been using the iPhone since day one and it's always had reception problems. I noticed a big difference between that first iPhone and the SLVR that I had been using. With each model change Apple has redesigned or tweaked the antenna, including a total redesign with the AT&T iPhone 4 and a minor redesign (or tweak if you prefer) with the Verizon model. Throughout all the design changes the phone has suffered with reception problems. There are a number of prototypes being tested now for the next generation iPhone with - you guessed it- new antenna designs. I'm sure Apple will say with the new phone they've fixed the problem, which is what they've been saying. And I'm sure the reception problem will continue to persist.