Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
Hey all,

I've broken numerous iPhone 3g and 3gs's no problem, but a friend of mine gave me his 4 to unlock. Right now it's stuck on the "slide for emergency" screen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I need to get past this to get into safari and thus go to jailbreakme.com.

My question is, what kind of sim card do I need? Can I just get a lend of a sim card from another iPhone 4 and use that to get past the slide for emergency screen? What about these guys off ebay? What are these Gevey cards about? Or am I going about this wrong - is there another way to get past the "slide for emergency" screen to then get into safari and thus jailbreakme.com. Thanks.

http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=iphone+4+sim&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Trevor

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Sounds like you need to Hacktivate it. Jailbreakme is for a phone that has already been activated and is working

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Hey all,

I've broken numerous iPhone 3g and 3gs's no problem, but a friend of mine gave me his 4 to unlock. Right now it's stuck on the "slide for emergency" screen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I need to get past this to get into safari and thus go to jailbreakme.com.

My question is, what kind of sim card do I need? Can I just get a lend of a sim card from another iPhone 4 and use that to get past the slide for emergency screen? What about these guys off ebay? What are these Gevey cards about? Or am I going about this wrong - is there another way to get past the "slide for emergency" screen to then get into safari and thus jailbreakme.com. Thanks.

http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=iphone+4+sim&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Trevor

1. What kind of sim card do I need?
You need an AT&T micro sim card. It doesn't matter if it is activated or inactivate. Once you have an AT&T sim in the phone, hook it up to Itunes and it will try to activate and the phone will go to the home screen.

2. Another way to pass by this emergency screen is to use redsn0w to jailbreak and hactivate it.

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
I'm in Canada - the iphone was on a Rogers network. So I need a rogers SIM?

I like the redsn0w option... That way I don't have to fool around with getting a SIM. Am I right in saying this?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I'm in Canada - the iphone was on a Rogers network. So I need a rogers SIM?

I like the redsn0w option... That way I don't have to fool around with getting a SIM. Am I right in saying this?

1. If the phone is locked to Rogers, then you need Rogers's sim to activate/by pass the emergency screen.

2. That is correct. However, you need to know what firmware version you have on the phone before you can use redsn0w to jailbreak/hactivate it.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Download 4.3.2 for the iPhone 4, and the latest redsn0w.

Follow those instructions, unless you want to use it on another network and therefore need an unlock, in which case DO NOT UPDATE. Plug it into iTunes, find out what iOS it is exactly running, tell us that and someone will help you from there.

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
Ok, but one problem... when I plug it into itunes I get "insert sim card to continue" or something similar to that... where can I find what iSO it's running?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Ok, but one problem... when I plug it into itunes I get "insert sim card to continue" or something similar to that... where can I find what iSO it's running?

put it in DFU and iTunes will allow you to restore. However, as other poster said, if you want to unlock, then do not restore but to find out exactly what firmware you have on the phone first.

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
then do not restore but to find out exactly what firmware you have on the phone first.

yes, how do I do this? I know how to put it in DFU mode, are you saying once I do this iTunes can somehow tell me the iOS without doing a restore?

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
Bump - how can I find my iOS if I'm suck with the "slide for emergency" screen - is there a work around for this?

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
Ok, so this is what I just did. I found someone with a rogers SIM, put it in, and I'm still getting a "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be spported." Any idea what went wrong??

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Ok, so this is what I just did. I found someone with a rogers SIM, put it in, and I'm still getting a "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be spported." Any idea what went wrong??

could the IEMI be banned?

how sure are you its a Rogers phone and not Telus or Bell?

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
hmm... The phone was given to me by a friend who used it legit. Is there a way to determine what network the phone came from (my friend is not contactable at this time).

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
Well, this is the whole problem, I'm stuck on the slide to unlock screen. Did you see my newest post about the iclarified tutorial?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.