iPhone 4 SIM Tray cosmetic issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spblat, Jun 30, 2010.

?

Would you ask Apple to replace this phone if it were yours?

1. Yes.

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. No.

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. This thread is dumb.

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I'm pretty sure if Jony Ivy handed my iPhone to Steve Jobs and said "ok here's your phone," Jobs would return it based on this issue. I'd sorta like mine replaced as well.

But seriously, tell me if this is just too fine a point. My SIM tray protrudes from the case a little bit on one side. You can see it visually, but running your finger over it it's quite obvious.

Would you keep your iPhone if it had this defect? Or would you ask for a replacement?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hazeydavey macrumors regular

Have you tried fully ejecting and reinstalling?

That shouldn't be like that....return it otherwise for a corrected one.

Oh! And if the new one's proximity sensor, 3G and phone work, let me know. ;-)

3. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

I have indeed, with some force.

I'm feeling a little sheepish: this is my second one. My first had problems talking to its SIM card. This one has the SIM defect, the mystery rattle (some rattle, some don't, save that debate for another thread please) and no proximity issues.

4. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

It may seem silly now, but who knows what it could be like in a few months/year. Could save you grief down the road... the sim card is kinda important :)

5. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah...I mean, hopefully they can just give you a new SIM tray instead of a new phone...but otherwise this is one of those annoying things that you can't really see but your fingers will feel every time you use the phone.

That's not unreasonable to want fixed.

You do yourself a disservice by calling it a "cosmetic" issue. It's more about the feel than the look.

7. PantherJeep macrumors member

PantherJeep

I answered both "Yes" and "This thread is dumb." ;) No offense, but with all of Apple's goings on about the precision engineering etc. of the iPhone, it seems like a pretty obvious answer to me. If you can't work it in until it's flush, I'd request a replacement SIM tray at the very least. Good luck! :)

8. mcnicks macrumors regular

The IEMI number and serial number are on the SIM tray so they probably can't just swap it out.

9. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

- Jony Ivy

I think that's my best argument.

EDIT:

Steve Jobs

10. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

mine is actually ever so slightly sunken into the frame.

11. st1ngo macrumors member

These forums just breed problems !
    Im willing to bet theres stacks of people who are really happy with their phones until along comes someone saying such and such is a one mm out on the left side or theres a tiny speck in the top corner which if the sun shines on it at a 92degree angle it shows up etc etc

Just for the record mines fine apart from ..................

12. spblat thread starter macrumors 6502a

spblat

I did replace it BTW. I made it clear to the genius that I knew I was being OCD about it, but for such a gorgeous piece or hardware I wanted it to be flawless. I was prepared to share the Ivy and Jobs quotes above but I didn't have to. She was completely understanding and gave me no grief whatsoever.

13. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

That's because 4/5 out of everyone who comes in there, comes in to have their phone replaced for some reason, silly or not.

14. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Me being a perfectionist I too would of got it replaced. You did good, because you never know, time down the line, something may of gone wrong with the latching setup of the tray.