iPhone 4 SIM w/ iPad 2 3G will it work? Are you going to do it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NiroshanMan, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Are you buying an iPad 2 3G vs wifi so you can use your iPhone 4 SIM with it?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

So I know this has been done before and I'm sure there are countless threads that touch on this, but none of them fully answered my questions.

I don't want to hear anything about the ethical decision about buying a plan specific for iPad 2. I'm paying $30 for an unlimited data plan on my iPhone 4 that I'm sure I'm not using to its potential and I have been a loyal AT&T and Apple customer for many years, why can't I just use some of that data on my iPad 2? It seems ridiculous to pay another $15 to 30 plan for something I MAY or MAY NOT use a lot. I just want to have the convenience of being able to use my iPad anywhere on the go and just use wifi everywhere else.

I was just wondering if I could used my unlimited plan on my iPhone 4 and use it on my iPad 2 3G by just changing the SIM and the carrier settings? Have people done this before and have it work for an extended amounts of time? Has AT&T found ever found out?

Thanks! :)

2. maclook macrumors 65816

I have the same question but I'm wondering:
    Would using MyWi on a jailbroken iPhone be a better solution to switching the the SIM back and forth?

3. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly, but I realized an extra $130 won't be too bad in the long run (though it is quite expensive just for the convenience of 3G, but its there). I just don't want to rely on my iPhone to tether to my iPad. I've done it before and it works decently well, but you are using up the battery of two devices at once. In my opinion itd be nice to switch the sim for long trips to places, but use tethering in quick cases. I'm willing to pay $130 for having that option, but definitely not $15-25/month added onto that.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm curious what you'd be using for a phone when you've moved the SIM over to the ipad on those long trips? And what happens when someone calls you?

5. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I remember u can do it with the iPad 1 and the iPhone 3GS.

6. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

why so defensive? [​IMG]

anyways...

the SIM should work just fine and you shouldnt have to change any settings since they both access the same gateway on the network for data. as for getting caught, i dont see how, amongst millions of users, unless someone at AT&T decided to look up and balance your current IMEI while on the iPad against your iPhone's IMEI. they tend to ignore that kind of stuff unless someone is using a cloned SIM or your data usage spikes wildly... the latter being unlikely as the iPad accesses and downloads from the network the same way an iPhone does; generally, an iPad will consume data at an equal rate to an iPhone is usage is the same.

or you can just tether it over wifi to your iPhone once iOS4.3 is released later this week so you dont have to do the SIM card shimmy.

edit: i posted this without seeing your latest response, so just ignore what you dont care for.

7. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I would never do that. You're without a phone when using your iPad... What a terrible downside.

8. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

for the latter question, the call would just be sent directly to voicemail.

9. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha thanks! I was being defensive ahead of time because I know there will be people looking at this saying that I didn't buy the data plan for the iPad, but for the iPhone...anyways, I'm still trying to figure out if its worth getting an iPad 3G if I can do the tethering. I've always known I could do the tethering, but it would be awesome to know I can just use it in my iPad and not have to worry about my the life of my battery of my iPhone 4 or dealing with miwi. Then again as most of you have pointed out, you don't have access to your phone when you do this. I mainly rely on my data and I can deal with missing a call or two and I use a texting app to text. But I'm starting to see the downsides of this. Just wish the 3G option were more affordable, like $50 more, the price just seems so excessive.

10. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I think MyWi is your best option.

While you're draining the battery of both devices, you're saving the $130 up front cost + having to run 2 data plans.

11. maclook macrumors 65816

I haven't seen the SIM card tray on the new iPad yet. Unless I'm wrong and there's a picture of it out there, I have a sneaking suspicion that you won't have access to it like the 1st generation.
    I thought this through as well. You're lucky enough to have the unlimited data on your iPhone, so why not put it to use? For longer trips, you'll probably have access to power and, if you're like me, you always have your iPhone on you anyways.

12. FmaxTurboSi macrumors regular

What about possibly jail breaking an AT&T 3g iPad2, inserting your sim from your iPhone, and being able to receive a call on your iPad??? :eek:

I'm not suggesting that you use your new iPad as a phone. I'm just suggesting the possibility of answering a call, so you don't miss it. (when you have your phone sim in the iPad)

13. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

personally i used to do it all the time but the ipad is kept mostly kept around the house now so i have no need. when i get my new ipad, i will only be using the 3g for 2 weeks during the summer so i will just pay for it because on vacation i don't want to have to be annoyed every time someone or my self wants to use the ipad. the shore hose i go to does not have wifi or internet and i don't want to loose my unlimited plan. also the iphone 5 will be out by then so we will see. wow i just talked about myself here and did not contribute at all.

14. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

No, it has a SIM tray, per Apple CONsumer Electronics

Attached Files:

15. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be a cool idea, but I don't think this is feasible since the iPad only has the components to receive data and not the calls, which are two separate things.

I think I've concluded that I will be buying a 32GB iPad without 3G and save the $130 and just buy MiWi to tether from my iPhone 4. I realized it would be a hassle to just remove the sim whenever I needed it and that convenience would be an extra $130. THANKS MACRUMORS community for helping me solve my problems! :)

16. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I was also thinking of doing the same thing. My i4 and iPad 1 are both jailbroken and I have been using PDANet to tether. The reason I was considering getting the 3G iPad 2 was that PDANet occasionally disconnected, which got a little frustrating at times. This week I will try out MyWi and see if it is any better. With the $130 I saved by not getting the 3G I might consider getting the 64GB instead of 32GB, though 32GB is probably good enough for me.

17. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

I suggest a WiFi only iPad 2 and just tether it via MyWi On Demand.

When the iPhone 4 is locked and MyWi is enabled, battery decreases by only 10% / hour. An excellent rate given the circumstances.

Wherever there isnt WiFi, im sure there is a wall outlet, so if you are planning on browsing for a long while, then just plug the iPhone in and your set!

My only problem is, I have 1GB of data, and so I need to watch what I do when on 3G but for the most part I use WiFi, so I myself am set.

18. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

I've use MiWi in the past and it quite amazing. Have yet to try it with the iPad 2 and I think saving the extra $130 will be a good idea and I'm in the same boat as you, gonna buy the 32GB instead of the 64GB one because I have a 32GB iPhone 4 and I don't want to be able to store the same amount of music on both and not have to worry about restricting content on one over the other. What do you think?

19. BuffyzDead macrumors member

BuffyzDead

Mar 14th....and it doesn't work

Mar 14th, Brand New iPad2.
    Used SIM from my iPhone 4 "unlimited" AT&T data plan.
    (the SIM card fit is perfect and can be readily exchanged between the two devices)

It doesn't work.
    It's asking that I "still" set up a new data plan for my iPad2.

Anybody know what to try next? :cool:

20. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey