iPhone 4 Slow

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by harry20larry, Dec 20, 2010.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

OK, I have had an iPhone 4 since day 1. Before that I had an iTouch 2g, the iPhone 3GS, now this. Each has been restored from the back up of previous device.
    I have started to notice my iPhone 4 is very slow compared to other iPhone 4's, jumping in and out of folders, how long it takes to quit an app etc.
    I was wondering if this is due to the amount of times I have restored it from backup. Does the previous device leave behind useless trash? I would prefer not to do a new device restore since I would loose everything (texts, game progress etc). I was wondering if anybody else experienced this and how they fixed it.
    Comparing my iPhone against another is shocking to see the speed difference!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes. Old backups might be buggy and cause issues like that.
    I like to setup as new instead.
    Don't mind losing a few texts or have to reinstall things.

3. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Went with a complete restore. Was a bit painful getting all the apps back to where they were but WOW! It is like having a complete. New phone, everything runs far faster and games have a higher frameraye. Would recommend doing this if your phone doesn't feel like it is running at full speed.

4. PeteLP macrumors regular

Just wondering:

Did you try to reboot your iphone before resorting to a restore?

(Just to be clear, you do a reboot as follows:
    1- Hold down the power button until you see the message - "Slide to Power Off"
    2- Do the "Slide to power off"
    3- Wait for the rotating working icon to finish and disappear
    4- Press and Hold the power button until you see the apple
    5- Wait for iOS desktop to appear)

This has always worked for me, under similar conditions.

While I agree that a full restore without backup can solve problems that a reboot won't, it MAY (in some cases, depending on your specifics) be achieving nothing more than a reboot.

It's always best to try that first.

5. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

yep, many times. Probably rebooted at least once every fortnight. Its been a similar speed since I have had the phone, for example, it has always had a 1 secondish delay from home button press to activating the animation, now (and on a fresh restore iphone) it is instantanious

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It makes sense. Restoring and setting up as new always makes a big difference.
    That backup of yours was from way back from your 2G then transferred to the 3GS and then the new i4.

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

My main annoyance/issue with this oft given piece of advice, much as it may well work, but theres no way of keeping data from many apps, save games, etc. I really wish apple would finally give some way of doing this globally across all apps.

8. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

That's kind of restoring from back up is for. I think apple need to improve how clean the back up files between devices are because there is definitely some trash left behind

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree. They gotta improve the backup or a way to restore just certain things.

10. Raj24v macrumors member

So are you guys recommending a fresh restore to factory settings here? Meaning I lose all apps, contacts, pics etc??

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes restore and setup as new. You wont lose apps cause you can sync them back thru itunes, same with your pictures as long as they're saved on your computer.
    And contacts you can sync with address book before you restore and then sync them back.
    You will lose your texts and game progress.

12. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Texts and game progress are the only two things I lost. Everything is synced with MobileMe. I have phone view on my mac which backed pall my texts. And I think you would have to be an extremely sad person to mourn over loss of any progress made in a video game!