iPhone 4 slower than 3Gs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JudeGuest, Jul 22, 2010.

1. JudeGuest macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could please provide some advice? I have had the iPhone 4 for about 3 weeks now and I have noticed that it's not as fast to browse over 3G as the iPhone 3Gs. I have done a direct comparison with a friends 3Gs, same network (o2), same location, same signal strength and both with iOS4 software are my iPhone 4 is notably slower.

Over wifi, it is exactly the same load time for webpages as the 3Gs.

I was wondering if therefore there was a problem with my phone? I thought it was supposed to be in the region of 30% quicker than the 3Gs and surely not slower?!

Also, when browsing the internet over 3G it tends to get pretty hot.

I was wondering if anyone could therefore please throw some light on the situation.

Thanks,

Jude

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yep, here's my light on the situation... stop sitting side by side and trying to make comparisons

Just use the thing and enjoy it

3. JudeGuest thread starter macrumors newbie

I would enjoy it but it's incredibly slow, slower than my blackberry on EDGE network, which is pretty bad...

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

It might be something do with how you are holding it. Get a Bumper.

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Must be your cellular network strength. I tested 3G web browsing on my 3GS and i4, the i4 was faster. Also I'm getting between 3.44 to 4.77 Mbps over 3G.

6. JudeGuest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, how would i test the speed please?

7. JudeGuest thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies, I should have said, I had the bumper on it.

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

9. JudeGuest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, just did it, iphone 3gs on same network, same location is about 40% faster over 3G network!!!

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's bs. I used a 3GS for over a year and now the i4 and the i4 is way faster on everything including upload speeds, download, running processes etc...
    Maybe you should try a restore and setup as new or get it exchanged.

11. JudeGuest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I thought it seemed odd. I'm going to go to the apple store over the weekend and see if they can help / exchange. Love the phone apart from that. The screen is amazing!!!

12. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

3g has 128 megs of ram
    3gs has 256 megs of ram
    4 has 512 megs of ram

cant be slower unless you have it loaded with a bunch of crap or you have several apps running. totally reboot the phone and run the speed test again. if it is still slower take it back.

13. JudeGuest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, appreciate that. I am in the process of the reboot now. I have only taken up half the storage space so i doubt it is that. Fingers crossed the restore works but otherwise i will take it back.

Thanks again.

14. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Restore on iTunes to new phone not from backup. It will put your contacts on the phone still but you will lose pics, video,music etc but you can sync music back in once you have restored.

I hit 5.35 Mbps download and 1.26 upload last night on 3G way faster than the 3GS.

15. xela24678 macrumors regular

i used the speedtest.net app and it says 4.8 Mbps for download and 0.58 Mbps for upload. This is on wifi

16. xela24678 macrumors regular

Slow network?

hey guys, the test that i did on top was on wifi. when I tested it on 3G, it says 0.17 Mbps for download and 0.84 Mbps for upload. I don't know much about this but isn't that to low?

17. S Brake macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/19.872; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

I did a side by side with my 3G and a iP4 and the 4 was muuuuuch faster.

18. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

That is pretty bad... how many bars did you have and what was your ping?

19. xela24678 macrumors regular

i had full bars and the ping was 3301 ms. please help. I am thinking of going to apple.

20. Maxsmoothred1 macrumors newbie

Ip4 way slower network than ip3g

I have noticed a serious slowdown on the net with my ip4g.
    It's not just me either. Everyone I know at work has said the same.
    One thing that really bothers me is a friend of mine has a 3G and his dl speed is noticeably much faster than mine when trying to load the exact same page. It does this with every page we tested it on. I also noticed that when I ran speedtest my upload is faster than my download everytime I test it. Wtf is up with that? Wifi is a different story. No problems whatsoever on wifi.

21. DennyL macrumors newbie

That isn't light, it's darkness.

That is an amazingly unhelpful response from a moderator, and wasting everyone's time.