Iphone 4 Snooze temperamental?....*SOLVED*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by graystar, Sep 21, 2010.

1. graystar macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have been using my launch day iphone 4 without any issues whatsoever until I recently noticed that sometimes the snooze function fails.
    Basically I find that I hit snooze and sometimes it will not actually sound the alarm and I wake up late to see the screen illuminated and the snooze button visible but no actual alarm sound!
    I thought it was just me as most of the time it works fine but randomly will decide to play up.
    The only reference I found to this was the same problem on an older 3g.
    I tried a different alarm app but it sucked about 20% of my battery over night whereas normally I only lose about 1 or 2% overnight.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers

2. rwd hero macrumors 6502

Mine works every day just fine. Try a restore and setup as a new phone.

3. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

You mean it's playing your alarm tone the first time, but after you hit snooze the message reappears without any tone?

That's really strange.

I've used the iPhone alarm on every iPhone since 2007 and haven't ever had any problems with it.

4. graystar thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies.
    Yes, thats exactly what its doing. But only sometimes....
    Usually it'll snooze correctly as many times as I like!

Ah well, obviously not a common problem. I guess I'll try a restore.

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

Are you sure you aren't just sleeping through it when it plays the alarm again? Mine will show the snooze option on the screen but stop playing the alarm if I ignore it. I think it replays again after a break.

6. rwd hero macrumors 6502

Have you tried to use the alarm while you are awake just to see if that is actually what is happening? I have a feeling you are sleeping through the second alarm.

7. sslanchi macrumors regular

sslanchi

DUDE I have the same problem! I thought I was crazy.. This has made me late for work about 5 times. I think it /might/ be when u hit the snooze so many times the next alarm goes off.

8. graystar thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest I haven't been able to replicate the problem under normal daytime conditions yet. I tried last night but just got sick of the sound of the alarm!
    However, after restoring the phone I had the exact same problem again this morning - Woke to first alarm, hit snooze then woke up a good half hour later with the screen displaying the snooze button but no sound.
    -
    I'm guessing the only possibility is that I could have slept completely through the second alarm at which point, there must be a limit on how long the tone will sound for after which point the phone just becomes silent - This is currently my only feasible explanation.....

9. graystar thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

if yall be sleeping through your alarms then maybe you need more sleep or set multiple alarms...like if I stay out all night partying and I gotta wake up for work I set at least 2 seperate alarms so between "snoozes" the other alarm will go off and vice versa...oh and only use the "alarm" tone...anything else is a piddly excuse for an alarm tone and you're sure to sleep through it

11. graystar thread starter macrumors newbie

OK Folks,

Following a few suggestions above, I've finally worked this out.
    I am pleased to say that the phone is obviously working correctly :D and I'm not going crazy!
    Basically as I read on the link above, there is a limited duration for which the alarm sounds.
    I tested it tonight by setting an alarm, hitting snooze and then the next time the alarm sounded I just let it run in a different room.
    After approx 15 minutes, the screen lights up with the snooze button and the sound stops.
    So apple have obviously set a time limit assuming that most folk would have woken up after 15 minutes of the alarm sounding....
    So the solution for us folk who can sleep through the alarm for 15 mins,
    the best bet is going to be as mentioned, to set separate alarms :)

12. dave420 macrumors 65816

Thanks for the update. I've never known exactly why the alarms stop, and that link helps.

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I have been having this issue too and that makes some sense.

Does anyone know if the 3rd party alarm apps have this same limitation? Any suggestions on which one is best (I don't mind paying if it is worth it)?