iphone 4 soaked! help me!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by erika93, Jul 23, 2010.

1. erika93 macrumors newbie

i was pushed into the pool with my new iphone 4 in my pocket!
    now it wont turn on but the flash for the camera is on.
    can i go to apple and get it replaced? would they now it got wet?
    please help me on what i can do to make it work again or how i can get a new one.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can get a new one by going into an Apple Store and buying a new one. They're not going to replace it since it's wet.

3. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Apple will replace it for $199 under their out of warranty program.

4. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Put a couple cups of rice in a baggie, put the phone in it, wrap it up with a rubber band and put it away for 4 or 5 days and DO NOT mess with it. The rice will pull the water out of the phone and if you're lucky it'll still work. Apple absolutely will not replace it for free.

5. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

dude

you gotta be more careful...if someone comes within 6 feet of me with a cup of water....the shields go up... :D

6. erika93 thread starter macrumors newbie

ive been looking around the forum and learned about the water sensors.
    the one where the headphones go in is half pink but the one where you plug in the charger is still white...

7. 0309385 Suspended

That is exactly what happened to me but i wasnt pushed lol but when i pulled it out the LED light was one so i tryed putting it in rice and put it in the blow drier and then finally the LED finally blinked three times then went out. So i had to get a $200 replacement so i sold my whole familys 3G and GS's and got $200 out of it to get a new phone so yeah.

All in all: You need a new phone.

8. iMistress166 macrumors newbie

Sounds stupid but works, I carry a ziploc baggie with me (quart size) and anytime I'm gonna be near something like water my phone goes in the bag and zipped in... I use this when I'm decorating a cake as well cause powdered sugar and icings go EVERYWHERE lol...
    As for the OP I'd be making the person that pushed me into the water pay for a new one! lol

9. 0309385 Suspended

Yeah i would defiantly make them pay.

10. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

There are water sensors in the charger area? I thought the only ones were in the headphones...

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Put it in the drier for 30 minutes:D

Headphone jack, bottom charger and 2 more inside the phone.

12. iFitz macrumors regular

Still won't work. They look at them with a (black light?) and they can tell if it's had water damage. They have lights to look at the water sensors. Happened to a girl last night while I was at the apple store, she walked in with the phone saying it didn't work, they pulled out their trusty light and looked in both spots, and told her that her phone has water damage. Bummer.

13. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Where are they on the bottom charger? I don't see them?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They're there, use a flashlight.

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

There is a little white dot in the center just below the dock connector.

16. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Make whoever pushed you in that pool cough up $199.

17. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

Yeah, this is what I would do as well.

18. KustomDeluxe macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A306)

The water sensor is the very first thing they look at, they shine a penlight in both sensors. Usually while they are saying "Hi, my name is ....". If it's changed color at all, out of luck.

19. db67fm macrumors regular

db67fm

My iPhone 4 fell into a puddle of water with the bumper on it. It was only a inch or 2 deep but it was enough to completely submerge the phone.

Both top and bottom water sensors turned red and the phone would not turn on.

I removed the 2 screws in the bottom, and slid off the back glass panel. I tried to pour out the water. There were only a few drops that came out but it was apparent there was moisture still inside. With the back cover off, I put the phone in a bowl of rice (long grain white rice FYI) and let it set for 4 days. When I took it out it looked dry. I put the back panel on, tried to turn it on and nothing. Then I plugged it into the charger and after a few second I saw the apple logo.

It has worked fine for a few weeks now. Maybe I just got lucky, but its worth a try...