iPhone 4 Solar Powered Back?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by coasterider, Jul 11, 2010.

1. coasterider macrumors regular

Since the back plate is so easily removable, do you think a company will sell a replacement back with a solar panel that connects directly to the battery?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Possible, although I'd wonder what % of time it would actually be facing any sunlight.

3. cwerdna macrumors 6502

doubtful

I don't think a panel would produce enough power to provide THAT much extra battery life, at least not from active use. If the phone were in airplane mode, then it might extend the standby time a lot.

Also, if people kept the phone out in the sun, it might receive a lot more juice would but, at minimum, the heat would be bad for the battery and worse could cause the phone to overheat and refuse to do anything until temp was low enough. Heck, it could get too hot so that the iPhone refuses to charge the batt anyway.

4. scvkurt03 macrumors newbie

this would be a NICE feature to have for outdoor enthusiasts.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

It's a nice thought. It'll only be a matter of time before companies start producing things for the back casing of the iPhone.

6. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

I think an induction charging back ala palm pre is much more likely.

7. coasterider thread starter macrumors regular

I think it could be somewhat useful but maybe more of a statement. Would be nice if it came with an App that could regulate it.

8. Dereklee macrumors newbie

well, personally, i consider it to be a good idea..

9. cwerdna macrumors 6502

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'm can see companies doing a second battery add on with a USB passthrough or even them inductive charging cases becoming a slip on back.

11. mmyers0520 macrumors regular

solar case that slides on/plugs into bottom of phone to charge it? and the app idea is cool..hm iPowerplant...iSolar...i..?

12. nerk69 macrumors newbie

Sound like the Puma Phone. I still would like to see it happen, the problem I see is that the iPhone is really picky about charging when it is not receiving enough current. I was looking at a solar panel, with was about twice the size of the iPhone but only produced 160mAH. This is not enough to charge the phone by itself. So this would take a little more than just a panel.

But is want something a little less elegant, you can always make your own.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-solar-iPodiPhone-charger-aka-Might/

[​IMG]

13. foiden macrumors 6502a

Sounds cool. Though I think the people who would benefit from that, the most, would be the GeoCaching folks. They would probably be numero uno in the use of Solar Power supported phones. They always have those things out in the sun, looking for those Caches.