iPhone 4 - Some pleasant surprises!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Travisimo, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Been using my iPhone 4 since early Thursday morning and I've noticed a few things that have pleasantly surprised me.

Battery Life / Bluetooth. Yes, I knew the battery life was supposedly improved, but I had my doubts that it would be noticeably better. I'm happy to report that there is a BIG difference, especially with certain functions. For example, I've noticed that using my Bluetooth A2DP headset uses MUCH less battery on the iPhone 4 than it did on my 3GS. I listen to music and podcasts for hours every night at work, and with my 3GS, I would normally be down to minimal battery life by the end of my 8 hour shift. I usually turned 3G off when I first started work since it saved battery life. However, the last couple of nights with the iPhone 4 - with the exact same usage - I still have over 60% battery life left and I haven't even turned off 3G! Tonight, I started at 100% like usual and I even listened to streaming music for a couple of hours using Slacker and I was still at 60% when I got home. I have also noticed that the phone takes less time to connect to my headphones as well.

GPS. I've noticed that the iPhone 4 has noticeably better GPS than my 3GS. Specifically, it seems to be more accurate and does not wander much at all, whereas my 3GS would often be off a bit as well as wander or lag sometimes. The iPhone 4 is probably using the same GPS chip that the iPad uses since we noticed an improvement on the iPad as well. Furthermore, it's nice being able to use another application while GPS is still functioning. On the way home from work tonight, I had MotionX GPS Drive running while simultaneously streaming music from Slacker and they both worked flawlessly. The music would still duck while the GPS' voice was heard, and I could switch to other apps while they both were running. Nice!

3G Upload Speeds. I have noticed MUCH faster upload speeds on the iPhone 4. I don't have my 3GS activated anymore to do a side by side comparison but I'm often getting close to 4500 kbps down and 1600 kbps up, whereas the 3GS would be lucky to get a few hundred kpbs up. Admittedly, I'm in a good 3G area (Quad Cities, IL/IA) but these are some good speeds for 3G! Here's a link to a video showing the speed tests:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCCbFXLaNIQ

Overall, I'm very impressed with the phone and it's nice to find some surprises that weren't as obvious as things like the retina display and unique form factor.

2. Nyse macrumors member

I'll concur. These were the things that I quickly noticed as well.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

All three are definitely true. After 6 hours of usage and 13 hours of standby, I am only at 60%.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I'm with you. I noticed the improved battery and GPS lock almost immediately. I had no real complaint about either in the 3GS, but they are simply fabulous in the 4. :)

I love this phone!

5. vile macrumors member

How long does your battery usually last? This is my 1. iphone (only had ipod touches before) and so I can't really compare. Somethings I think it drains to fast but maybe it's normal.

6. Skinfaxi macrumors member

What's the practical benefit of faster 3G upload? Faster MMS, email sending?

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Pretty much or any other app that requires you to send data. Posting pic to facebook/twitter, etc..

8. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Maybe I need to restore mine. I just used it again on safari for 1.5 hours and burned 22%.

Is that normal? Wifi btw.

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

My biggest grip was the battery on the 3GS. Now that it's fixed I love it! On average use with WiFi on my iPhone goes 20 hours easy. As long as a phone can take me through a day I'm happy as it's charged every night.

10. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

That answers my question. Mine cannot go 5 hours w/o 10% warning.

11. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

I'll give u an example. MY old 3g would die within 3-5 hours of music use and texting only. Yesterday i left work at 6pm. Used the phone for music, gps, talk, text, browsing, games and everything except wifi and bluetooth. Got home around 12:30 and still had 40% left. This battery amazed me from day 1 and it only reached 20% once on me but never died.

12. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

The battery life is insane - I got mine down to 20% and ran YouTube videos trying to kill it, took forever to get it to run down. I am impressed.

I am also coming from a JB 3G that had severe lag on the keyboard so typing feels a lot easier. Is it me or is the keyboard easier to type on now? May be from 4.0 or is it the new screen? I feel like you don't have to be as precise when tapping the keyboard.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    First thing I noticed was the upload speed is crazy.
    Sometimes its even higher than the download speed where before I would get barelly anything on upload.
    Very nice.

Yes, or possibly facetime over 3G on JB iphone 4 :D

14. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only thing i've noticed about the keyboard is that there is less lag. The whole interface is quick and smooth.