iPhone 4 speaker crackle/mic doesn't work

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Snigrus, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Snigrus macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I got my iPhone in the middle of August and have had no complaints up until now. Two days ago (Saturday 9/18) my phone's mic cut out in the middle of a conversation. I could hear the other person perfectly, but they couldn't hear me at all. I received a call later in the day and it worked for a few minutes and then the same problem occurred. I called them back and it worked for the rest of the conversation but the normal speaker used for phone calls (not speaker phone) started crackling. Now whenever I call someone or get calls my mic works intermittently and there's an almost constant crackling on my end of the line which goes away if I use speakerphone. The mic also appears to work when I use speakerphone but I haven't tested it that much. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know of a solution other than getting a replacement phone? I'm at college and there isn't an apple store anywhere near me and going without a phone for weeks would be a huge inconvenience.

Edit: If this helps, the speaker works absolutely fine playing music or any other noises, and the mic works fine for voice memos.

2. rocketsy2k macrumors newbie

When placing a call on iphone 4 mic most of the time doesn't work

I'm having the same problem. When on a call, mic doesn't work, so the other party doesn't seem to hear my conversation. But when I try to record a video, I can hear my voice. I'm not sure what is the reason, I tried restarting my phone and no use. Any clue?

3. run-iphone4 macrumors newbie

Sound's like exactly the same problem I have. The Crackle would indicate to me that there's a problem with the phone and I intend to take it back to the shop next week.

Did either of you find a solution?

4. run-iphone4 macrumors newbie

fixed the problem!

Try removing the SIM card and then putting it back. I've not had a problem since I did that.

5. pongra macrumors newbie

thanks a lot! :) @run-iphone4

6. Mohawker macrumors newbie

I just experienced a similar issue, but the cracking was on the other end of the line, I could hear them fine, but they heard very severe crackling from me when I spoke. Tried removing the sim card, no joy. Finally noticed that I had about 27 items open in the background. Shut them all down, tried another call, crackling went away. I am thinking that one of the open apps had something to do with this.

7. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Having same issue

Having the same issue - during calls only - not via Music playback.

* Occurs during calls connected Make/Receiving.
    - Hard Reset and Restored HH from backup & setup as new phone.
    - I've Reset Network Settings as well,
    - Disabled EQ in iPod,

None of the above worked and also updated to IOS 4.3.3. Nothing.

8. rizsajid macrumors newbie

Having Same issue

Cracking Sound from Speaker and mic not working. However when i use SKYPE, the same mic n speaker both are working perfect.

Cant figure out whats the problem.