iPhone 4 Speakers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rumorman69, Jun 27, 2010.

1. rumorman69 macrumors regular

Hey guys. I'm still waiting for my iPhone 4 to arrive in the mail. So in the meantime I had a question for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS owners. How would you say the speakers between both these phones compare? Are the iPhone 4 speakers louder, by what percentage more or less would you say? Are the new speakers able to play louder music without being distorted? Could you compare the iPhone 4 speakers to those of other popular android phones/ smartphones? Thanks.

2. imkingofjungle macrumors member

they are actually softer than the 3GS, i have both and the 3GS is louder...

3. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

4. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Yes, what he said. The NY Times review said that the iPhone 4 had a better, clearer, and louder speaker that compares to the Blackberry Bold (he didn't say which bold). I disagree with that review- it may be a touch clearer, but lower volume than the 3GS:mad:

5. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

I am going to have to correct you there, the iphone 4 has 1 speaker, the right hand one when viewing the screen is the loudspeaker the left is the mic, odd and dissapointing I know.

6. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I would much rather have clear audio than unclear :)

7. Robin Chung macrumors member

Robin Chung

It's great to hear that the sound is clearer, it's really bad on the iPhone 3GS. Only good thing about the 3GS's speaker is the volume.

8. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that really sucks. Way to go a step backwards Apple. This is a HUGE letdown for me :( . I loved listening to music on my 3GS's speaker(s). I mean, I know laptop, desktop, etc speakers are way better but I can't carry around huge speakers in my pocket; the iPhone on the other hand, I can. Yeah, I also read that NY Times review or at least the part about the speakers being louder... What a let down.

9. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

10. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Yeah, it would've been nice to get 2 this time, for a much needed "stereo" effect. :(

11. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting article. I'm very confused now. Are individual iPhone 4 speakers performing very differently?

Quote from the ilounge article:

12. samcraig macrumors P6

My speakerphone, playing music through the speakers, etc are all good quality - but I have to crank the volume most if not all the way. My 3GS definitely was louder.

13. michael31986 macrumors 68040

14. EnderTW macrumors 6502

This.

I love my iPhone 4 but the speaker blows in comparison to my 3GS. Oh well. I still like my 4 over the 3gs

15. rdstoll macrumors 6502

I actually think the iPhone 4 speakers are better. When I put a call on speakerphone with the 3GS, I could barely hear it cranked all the way up. On the iPhone 4, I actually have to tune down the volume a touch.

16. jwwpua macrumors member

My iPhone 4 speaker is the same (or slightly louder) than my 3GS. I just did a side by side comparison. iPhone 4 is definitely clearer though. Sounds much better.

17. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4 speaker is clearer AND significantly louder than my 3GS.

18. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

It is WAAAY better than my 3G. It is much clearer and the volume is much louder at full volume.

19. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

It's not as loud. Kinda bums me out a little bit. I like loud and would take higher volume over clearer.

20. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, there seems to be a lot of different answers. I just hope the iPhone 4 I get is louder. There is no way I can compare though, I don't have my 3GS anymore...

21. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

someone with both a 3gs and iphone 4 should make a video of playin some music on both devices, equally apart from a camera

22. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

One thing that might explain the differences in opinions here.

- If you are holding the two phones in a hand, the 3GS appears to be a bit louder.

- If you set each phone on a flat surface, the iPhone 4 appears MUCH louder.

I think this is because of the 4's flat back. More vibration gets transferred into the flat surface, and it uses a table or other object as a resonator. This work great for me, as I often lay it flat and listen to podcasts while I do other things.

Try this and see what you guys think.

23. Resist macrumors 68030

Actually there is only one speaker, been like that with all generations of the iPhone.

24. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

Very interesting theory. Someone should really compare both phones while on a flat surface and while in your hand. Also, could someone please compare the volume between a naked iPhone 4 laying on a flat surface and an iPhone 4 with a bumper case laying on a flat surface? I'm very interested in the results. Thaks.:)