iPhone 4 Speakers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FelixDerKater, Jul 8, 2010.

1. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

How are the speakers on the iPhone 4 compared to the 3GS? Can they be turned up any louder? Is the sound any richer?

Thanks for the replies.

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I think the sound is marginally richer. The speakerphone is a bit louder and clearer.

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

ye but gues wat only 1 speaker work in dis Iphone :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

By the way a large batch was released with only one working speaker. Be sure you aren't stuck with one of those.......

j/k

5. MacNasty macrumors member

6. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Yeah, I know, just having a joke because he said speakers ;)

7. MacNasty macrumors member

hahaha ok gotcha!

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

It might be a little louder but it's definitely not noticeably louder/better like I had hoped.

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's "clearer" but not "louder".

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I've swapped my phone a couple times and noticed that some speakers were clearer and louder than others. My current one sounds great.

11. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I mentioned this in another thread, but I find the speaker is louder when the phone is laying on a flat surface than my previous phone.

I think the flat back transfers vibration better. This may not be true if you use a case, though.

Test it and see what you think.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....but it does have 2 speakers.:eek: Every iPhone I've owned (including the 4) had two speakers.;)

13. borisiii macrumors 6502

In my experience, the iPhone 4 speaker (compared to the iPhone 3GS) has less bass, clearer treble, sounds less distorted, and is slightly quieter.

Trust me, I'm a sound engineer :)

14. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I wish you could hear my iPhone 4. It has the worst hiss. I mean very loud. We're discussing this on another board -- several of us have noticed this and posted. If we use the earbuds, it's gone.

If we record video or make a voice memo and play back on the iPhone, the hiss is there. If we use the earphones or send it to the computer, the hiss is gone.

My 3GS had a much better speaker. Now the question is, is this just some of the 4s? The other thread seemed to think it was all of them. It's easiest to find if you record a voice memo or record video in a quiet room first.

15. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

The sound is a bit clearer and doesn't distort as easily as the previous speaker.

Also, they reversed the position of the speaker and mic - now the mic is on the left and speaker is on the right.

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Very small increase in sound. The only reason I heard it is cause I played the same song at the same time on both 3GS and 4

17. ultima macrumors member

1 is mic and the other one is speaker. Take a better look at the manual guide and tech spec plz

18. Malig macrumors member

Ok here's the real question: how is it compared to the original iphone? Because I'm still using it waiting for an iphone 4.. all I know is it sounds terrible due to distortions.

19. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

The original iPhone had a quiet crappy speaker.

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, the iPhone 4 has 2 mics (1 noise canceling) and 2 speakers (1 speakerphone and 1 earpiece).:D Maybe you should take a better look at the manual and tech spec (or just look/listen to your iPhone).:eek:

21. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

iPhone 4 sound vs 3GS sound difference

My iPhone 4 sound is a bit different from the 3GS, especially when ringing or even more when I lock/unlock it. The sound is more metallic and it is like there a kind of echo or more treble...Not that it bothers me but I would be interested to hear other forumers if they noticed that difference with their iPhone 4 which would mean it is nothing abnormal but maybe speakers on the iP4 are coming from a different supplier/source or different specs...???

22. vitog123 macrumors 6502

has anyone noticed that when you place a call via speaker phone the first initial ring is MUCH louder than the others? why cant the phone keep that volume level when turned up full blast?

23. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Did not notice - My initial ringtone volume is identical to the next one when i place a call via speakers