Iphone 4 steel band scratch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ~~Hello~~, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

I was looking at my iphone yesterday and I noticed this silvery scratch on the band. I've been very careful with it, but I'm so annoyed about it.

I wish there was a way to get rid of it. I thought that the steel band was quite tough, so I don't know what I've done to get it like that. I know Apple won't replace it because they will say it's my fault, but they shouldn't go around saying how scratch proof it is when it clearly isn't.

I will get a case but I still know it's under there, and I guess the zagg invisible maximum shield wont cover it well on the sides. :mad::mad:

Anyway I've been pretty pissed off with myself all day.

2. dewdst macrumors member

stay calm:cool: it is just a phone in the next year till next refresh guarantee you'll scratch it a hell of a lot more

but yes the first ones always the worst just like with a new car. In the future you never know maybe you'll get a refurb replacement due to other issues and then you baby the new one :)

3. coasterider macrumors regular

It is steel, so you might be able to polish and buff it out?

4. frikfrak macrumors regular

I'm contemplating trying scratch remover for auto paint on mine. Anybody tried this?

5. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

First, they've never called it scratch proof.

Second of all, it was the glass they were talking about being more scratch resisttant than normal.

6. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

At least you haven't broken the glass. Or worst, get stung by a wasp in the eye.

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Agreed, OP has no clue.

8. twigg macrumors member

I chipped the plastic around the screen, it's a smallish chip but it bugs me too. But what matters to me is that it works.

9. Steveo47 macrumors regular

The autopolish could work. My mom has a minicooper and on the inside there in a metal trim, with kinda the same washi finish as the iphone. which ive used scratch remover on to remove scuffs with no ill effect. Just dont use alot, and dont push hard.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I actually like this logic

11. gigemzach macrumors 6502

I actually have the same problem in the upper corner on the right side. It was while I was being overprotective of the phone so I didn't know how that happened, but I have finally let it go. (even though I am major OCD with my electronics)

12. ~~Hello~~ thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes you're right at least I haven't broken the glass or been stung in the eye by a wasp! :D:D

The scratch remover sounds interesting. I'd be afraid to use it though, might end up making it worse.

I thought with the band was tougher than normal, so that's why I thought it wouldn't be as prone to scratches...

I feel a lot better about the scratch now, so thank you to everyone who has replied. I think I'll go and buy myself a nice case for it. Probably best seeing as i'll be waiting weeks for a new one!

13. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Had the same problem, but it was due to a piece of dust getting trapped under the bumper case and it rubbing on the steel, so be careful, ended up getting a gelaskin instead to cover it

14. DeLoMan macrumors regular

Get rid of the scratch the same way you would on a DeLorean...use a scotchbrite pad and follow the direction of the grain. You are essentially putting smaller scratches on top of it, but it will make it look nice.