Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
So that steel antenna around the iPhone, I wonder what to keep it from peeling off the iPhone or will it expand due to heat from the iPhone?:confused: Hopefully it's wrap around tightly on the iPhone that no moisture will get in it.

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
So that steel antenna around the iPhone, I wonder what to keep it from peeling off the iPhone or will it expand due to heat from the iPhone?:confused: Hopefully it's wrap around tightly on the iPhone that no moisture will get in it.

I really doubt you have anything to worry about!!

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
i dont think, during the design process, apple decided to skimp on the quality of the stainless steel band. Steve said the band is what gives the iPhone it's structural integrity.

Honestly didn't see how anyone (until Apple) has not decided to pioneer this design yet. Hiding an external antenna into the body of the device. Form AND function.

It's known that putting an antenna internal reduces it's radio quality and that companies have only done so to make phones look aesthetically pleasing.

Now we have an external antenna and a damn sexy looking phone.

I hope apple patented it

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.

Peeling off? Is the band a sticker or something? Granted someone has to ask this question...eventually, but really a steel band...peeling off? And the other iPhones has metal in them, they didn't peel off?

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Peeling off? Is the band a sticker or something? Granted someone has to ask this question...eventually, but really a steel band...peeling off? And the other iPhones has metal in them, they didn't peel off?

OP, seriously? peeling off steel? Haven't you come across steel in your daily life that you're wondering if steel peels off? I seriously HOPE you are not a student!

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
this phone sounds like a miniscule weapon. photons shooting out from cameras and signals from the side etc (i kid, i kid). i wonder if there's any health detriments?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

You obviously haven't:
1) Looked at the Gizmodo teardown
2) Looked at the Vietnam phone teardown
3) Looked at the Apple videos

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I don't see any problems with the construction of this phone. Only thing I'm going to keep an eye on is the scratch resistance of the glass case.

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
Actually, it might be better because it can send out signals more efficiently, then it might not need as high a signal strength to begin with.

sorry. i just have this imagery of iPhone users (ie humanity) looking like silver surfers. sleek.

gescom

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
Austin, TX
During the keynote at WWDC they showed the makeup of the frame and it is the body of the phone. You would have a better chance of your head falling off before that peeled apart.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I'm pretty sure during the Keynote, the stainless steel was described to be "Extremely durable and strong" or something very close to that. Really though, it's an Apple product. Why would it be an issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.