iPhone 4, still on 4.0 - how do I wipe/restore and keep 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by james92se, Sep 23, 2011.

1. james92se macrumors 6502a

I have a launch-day iPhone 4 and I'm still on 4.0 (I know, I know). I'm jailbroken and still on baseband 01.59.00

How can I wipe (or restore, whichever - I just want all my data off the phone in order to sell it) my phone while staying on 4.0? I tried to remote wipe my sister-in-law's jailbroken iPhone 4 it nearly bricked it. I'd like to avoid the same fate. Any tips?

*edit* and, yes, I know "bricking" an iPhone is a bit of a misnomer. I was finally able to get her phone restored but it took me several hours of screwing around with it and three different computers/iTunes accounts. It was such a pain that it might as well have been genuinely bricked

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Go settings-> general-> erase all data. Or something like that...just look around.

3. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I did on my sister-in-law's jailbroken iPhone and it didn't work. It got halfway through and just got completely stuck. I read somewhere that jailbreaking it corrupts something and so it doesn't like the remote wipe feature (hence the near-brick on my sister-in-law's phone).

That's why I started this thread because I was hoping somebody could confirm whether or not this would likely happen to me, and if so, what the best way to avoid it would be :p

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bad advice.
    If he does that he will be stuck in recovery and phone won't turn on without a dfu restore.

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

James,

First off, you should be posting this int he hacks section.

Next, you need the signatures to restore. Download Tinyumbrella, connect your phone to computer, make sure the option to get SHSH from cydia is selected, and check for signatures. If you have 4.0, you're good to go. Report back before I say more.

Or if you can launch cydia on your phone, it'll tell you what sigs you have at the top of the screen.

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

If this doesn't work check into ifaith. I think I saw that mentioned somewhere that it will extract shsh from a device running a certain version of ios.

7. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh, yes, I guess I should have done this in the hacks section.. Woops

I downloaded TinyUmbrella last summer but I couldn't ever figure out how to use it. I also do remember that when I jailbroke I selected to have Cydia back up the blobs or SHSH or whatever it's called. Here's what it shows:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though I thought I read somewhere last month when I was trying to figure out TinyUmbrella that you can no longer "rely" on requesting the stuff from Cydia.

Anyway, appreciate the pointers.. I'll report back when I get home and can check on TinyUmbrella

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You are good then Jim.
    You got blobs saved so u can go to a custom 4.3.3 with pwnage while saving your unlockable baseband.

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

How can you tell that the blobs are saved? I'm looking at the same Cydia device on my screen (iPhone 3GS, 4.3.3) and I don't see anything. Unless the fact that the version numbers up top are in green means anything.

10. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

You answered your own question. Those are the firmware versions that Cydia holds blobs on file for for your specific device. If you have numbers in green, you have those blobs. If you have nothing at all, Cydia has no blobs saved for you (though if you saved them with TinyUmbrella, you *may* have additional blobs locally on your computer.)

11. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool!

So, how exactly do I go about that? Do I have to download the IPSW file from somewhere?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

13. kre62 macrumors 68000

I mean I wouldnt go to 4.3.3 unless you like lag. Max 4.2.1, but i'd say go 4.0.1 since thats the earliest blob you have.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lag on the iphone 4 on 4.3.3?
    I'd have to disagree.

15. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can use snowbreeze.