iPhone 4 stolen - Data at risk?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by oli2140, Nov 28, 2010.

1. oli2140
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I had my iPhone stolen from me this week and was just wondering how scared I should be (as well as annoyed).

If my phone had a passcode on, is the data on my device at risk? I had updated to 4.2 and am worried the thief could get access to my e-mails and photos which contain quite a lot of information about me.

Thanks in advance

2. JoelTGM
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Wow that sucks man. I wonder if there's anyway to track it like serial number or stuff like that. About them finding stuff about you though, I don't think that's really a big issue, because a lot of stuff requires your apple id and password, and you could always change your email password right now so if they try to view your emails it would prompt them for a new password. Basically though, I think everything on that device right now is sort of locked on that device, and if they want to use it as their own device with their own Apple id they'll want to reset and wipe it clean in order to do that. It's not like you're the president of the united states so they don't really care, they'll just wipe it.

3. SomeDudeAsking
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

The passcode on iOS is trivial to bypass by anyone that knows what they are doing. For example, just hook up the iPhone to a pc with something like iPhone Explorer that is freely available. iOS doesn't encrypt your data so once you lose your phone physically, you are royally screwed. Even using the Find My Phone feature from Apple to try to wipe the phone won't do any good if the phone was turned off or the phone part disabled.

Better start changing your passwords. For everyone else, never store anything sensitive unencrypted on an iPhone.

4. oli2140
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok cheers, I'll start changing passwords and hope they don't know what they're doing. The FindMyiPhone site just comes up with location unavailable so it looks like either they don't have a charger or they know a bit about how the iPhone works :mad: