iPhone 4 stolen help with At&t

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rcnoodle90, Jul 27, 2011.

1. rcnoodle90 macrumors newbie

So last night on the subway some punk kid grabbed my phone and ran. Anyway at&t kindly informed me that a new one would be $649...which is really lame. Anyway I am on a family plan with my girlfriend and I was wondering if any of you guys knew if I could start a new contract with at&t for an iphone. I got a go phone with my old account and removed the data plan. If I started a new contract could I just get a new sim card made with the info of my first plan and put it in the new iphone?

Just to clarify: I had an iphone 4 on my account. It was stolen so I got rid of the data plan and got a go phone. If I start a new account (adding a line to my family plan) could I just go back to the att store and ask for that microsim with my original accounts info and then put it in the new phone?

Would that work? I think its like $10 more a month to add a line. Thanks for the help. obviously that would be better than cancelling my other line.

Any tips ideas? Does this sound like it would work?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Correct,

The data should be on your computer (if you synced your device using iTunes), the SIM only contains your telephone number, which can be replaced.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

^^ I don't think that's what he means.

Yes, you can add another line, buy an iPhone on that line for $199/$299, and switch SIMs.

But then you're stuck paying the $10 extra (+ tax) for two years.

Your phone number should be on that new SIM that they give you. Your data should be in the backups in iTunes.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I woulda chased after him. :p

6. rcnoodle90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok it seems like you guys think it would work. I'm ok with 10 more a month not ok with $650 for a new iphone haha.

P.S. I did chase after them. it was a group of kids and they were off into the crowd before I could get them and then they spread out and went up separate stairs so I didn't know which one had it...Obviously this is a scam they pull often. Its pretty crappy!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not a good idea to have your iPhone out in situations like that.
    Be carefull and more aware next time.
    Many people get jumped for their electronics in subways, public transit etc.

8. detroit1 macrumors regular

Problems with this theory:
    To buy a new iphone you have to have the data plan on a new 2 year contract. if you were able to cancel the other data plan then you should be eligible for an upgrade? if not then you will be stuck paying the plans for both numbers. i dont think that was very clear but its hard to word.

your best bet may be buying one off craigslist. Did you try findmyiphone yet btw?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, the subsidy is on the phone not on the data plan.
    You can cancel the data plan if you're not using the iphone on your line any longer but you still used/spend the subsidy that AT&T paid so you can get the device on the promotional $199 price with a 2 year contract.
    Now you have to wait till you're due for another hardware upgrade to resign a new contract or buy another phone on your own either by paying full price or getting a used one or whatever.

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I am sorry you were ripped off, but there is no reason at all that AT&T should suffer. It is not their fault.

Not your fault either, but you were in the current owner, not AT&T.

My bigger concern here would be the data that is one that phone and what can they do with it.

11. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Do you have home owners or rents insurance? If so, you should see if your plan covers something like this, if you are lucky insurance could help cover some of the cost of a new phone, make sure you file a police report first and also call apple so they can flag the phone

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Lame?, so you think they should give you another phone for free because you were careless?:eek:

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

Unfortunately, a lot of people think that big companies should do just that.

14. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I don't think he's saying AT&T is lame, just the fact he has to pony up $600.++ is lame.
    Doesn't sound like complaining- just venting.

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I'd be pissed too if I got jumped.

16. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Well why would AT&T not make him pony up the money to buy a new phone when they had nothing to do with why he needs a new one?

Should Best Buy suddenly give you a new computer for a serious discount if yours gets stolen?

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's not really...Unlike you, my muggers grabbed me and held me down while they stole my phone, and it sucked. Was getting robbed your fault? Certainly not. Was it AT&T's? Not so much either. While I empathize, I went in fully expecting to pay the full, unsubsidized price for the phone, and the offered to give it to me for the early upgrade price. This could have been due to a variety of things (amount of time I've been a customer, good standing, bills always paid, etc.) but more often than not it's just the CSR you get. Again, it sucks that you got robbed, and I feel for you, but it's a feces occurs situation, and, unfortunately, you're the one that ends up paying.

18. rcnoodle90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not stupid. Of course At&t shouldn't just "give me a new one" or something. I guess alot of my frustration with At&t is that in the past 3 months they have tried to charge me about $250 for no reason (I was charged $150 for 2 days of cell service and then they tried to charge me an additional $80 for another one of their glitches) and it was a huge problem trying to get them to realize it was a computer glitch. Honestly ive probably been on the phone with them about 15 hours in the past 3 months. Most of the time on hold hahah.

So yea I was just venting. Its not At&t's fault my phone was stolen but it wasn't mine either. Everyone had their phone out I was just close enough to the door for them to make a clean get away. It just plain sucks!

Well the lemonaid that came from this is I think Ill just wait till the iphone 5 (which at the moment looks like all signs point to early september). If its a huge leap forward then Ill open a new account on my family plan and swap sim cards. if its just a little better than the iphone 4 and not worth it then i can buy a new iphone 4 for even cheaper than they are now. Maybe even not have to open a new account. it might be cheap enough to just buy one out of contract.

P.S. with all the talk about bigger screens, faster processor and better camera I think waiting will be worth it!!!