Iphone 4 Stolen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sjwl123, Aug 17, 2010.

1. sjwl123 macrumors newbie

Hi,

My Iphone 4 was stolen out of my gym locker today. Does anyone know what to do now? If I go to Apple or At&t, will they replace my Iphone free or with some sort of charge? Will they disable the other one...? I have SO much information on it.

Has this happened to anyone? What did you do afterwards?

Thanks!

2. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

Sorry to tell you if you didnt have insurance you're out of luck. AT&T has insurance for theft or lose for $15 a month with a $200 deductible and since you didnt have it they wont do anything. If you go to apple they will tell you to pay the full cost of the phone $600. If you had mobileme try to see if you can track it.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Was it password locked?
    2) If you had MobileMe can you do Locate My Phone?
    3) Call AT&T and put a freeze on account (no they cannot "kill" the phone)
    4) Call your insurance provider to see if it was covered under homeowner's/renter's policy
    5) File a police report
    6) You're on the hook for the cost of a new phone...sorry.

4. sjwl123 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's very unfortunate as I did not have insurance on it.

1. No
    2. Didn't have
    3. Will probably do
    4. Will probably do
    5. Last choice
    6. I can't believe some people would do this....

Thank You both for your quick responses!

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Unfortunatelly the only way to get another one now is pay the $599 or $699 for a 32GB.
    Apple or AT&T wont do anything about it.
    Next time make sure you lock your stuff up.

6. gibsongirl macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear about this--my 3G was just stolen last week. Like you, I didn't have MobileMe or have a password lock on my phone. I did have AT&T freeze my account, but that was the best they could do. I went about changing all of the passwords that were stored on my phone (email, Facebook, etc.).

My new 4 arrived yesterday, and I guess the lesson learned for me is (1) Get MobileMe so I can remote wipe the phone if lost or stolen (I don't want to have a password lock on my phone, though I probably should), and (2) back up early and often--the last backup of my 3G was in June (to update to iOS 4), so that wasn't very helpful in terms of considering whether to set this phone up as a new phone or to restore from backup.

Good luck!

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

It depends on the contract, but many people are eligible for early upgrade, wich prices it at $399/$499. That's not quite so bad.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What do you mean?
    If he got an iphone 4 subsidized he cannot get an early upgrade price for at least 12 months into his contract depending on the amount he spends on his monthly bill.

9. truazn macrumors newbie

Sorry for your loss. You can always try craigslist if it is available in your area.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Probably end up buying his phone.

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

True. I bought my iPhone 4 at the $299 price on launch. That same account is already upgrade eligible this time at the $499 price or $399 for the 16GB. This happened one month after upgrade.

12. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

My account is the same too, get the 32G for $299 and after 1 month into the new contract, I am eligible again for the upgrade $399 and $499, should make a good profit if I upgrade again.:D

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

You are right the "early upgrade" is only available after one year or more depending on how much you spend per month. But with AT&T after one month you are eligible for a discounted upgrade which is $200 off:
    "As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. "

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting, it wasnt like that for my account.
    I guess I dont spend enough for them :D

15. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

I've heard of some people showing proof that it was actually stolen (i.e. police report) and got it for like $199. Is there any truth to this?

16. ramstart macrumors newbie

My 3GS was stolen too, but have other problems associated

I am with the military in Germany and have a contract with T-Mobile. My I Phone was stolen too and the cost to replace here is in excess of $700. with T-Mobile Germany. I naturally went to buy a replacement in the U.S. Used but broken. Unfortunately after receiving it and trying to get it to work, I find that the T-Mobiles SIM will not allow it to be used in a U.S. phone for some reason. Trying to get T-Mobile to activate the phone was a lesson in futility and AT&T is non-responsive. I am a little confused as to why the break didn't work though. It may be because when I connected, it upgraded to 4.02, and that may have killed the break.

In any case. Insurance is a must with the I Phone. Expensive Lesson learned.

17. HockeyHippo macrumors newbie

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, a US iphone is always locked to AT&T and wont work with any other sims unless you JB and unlock it. And lesson learned, you never update thru itunes a Jailbroken and unlocked iphone cause it will always lock again.
    Tmobile germany or AT&T wont be able to do anything either.
    You just gotta sit and wait for a new JB to be out.

19. ramstart macrumors newbie

20. latafairam macrumors member

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, they don't care if it got stolen.