iPhone 4 stuck on boot logo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phat^Trance, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

just upgraded the MobileSubstrate and the phone.app apps in cydia and got the "reboot device" message. when i rebooted the device the phone is stuck on the boot logo (the white apple logo) and it wont start. it does auto reboot itself after 1-2 min.

Is there anyway i can fix this WITHOUT resetting the phone and upgrade to 4.2? (im running 4.1)

2. musebox macrumors newbie

Anyone have any ideas? I have the same problem, updated MobileSubstrate this morning, now iPhone 4 is stuck in reboot/respring loop. After reboot, lockscreen comes up but it is frozen, sits for about a minute then resprings, lockscreen still frozen, then reboots itself and cycle repeats itself. I cannot SSH into phone, tried WinScp but connection gets rejected. Tried DiskAid to downgrade MobileSubstrate, but that doesn't work either. Last thing I want to do is to restore, anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

3. Phat^Trance thread starter macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

i had to reset the phone and download 4.1 firmware again.

4. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

5. airdrummingfool macrumors newbie

same problem here (iPhone 4, 4.1). Booting to DFU then kicking it out with TinyUmbrella did not work.

All I want is to recover a few files (sms.db, etc). Is there a way to access the disk while in dfu mode to get files off?

6. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

Looks like a lot of people are having the issue. I am skipping updating that in Cydia. I am also wondering if I should update my iPad or not.

7. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

also had the same problem when i upgraded from 4.0.1 to 4.1 ... tinyumbrella did the trick for me

8. musebox macrumors newbie

Can you elaborate a little? DId you kick it out of recovery using TinyUmbrella? If so, is everything now working ok, or did you have to restore? Do you still have the updated MobileSubstrate installed and now all is ok? Unfortunately, I won't be able to do much til later, so I just want some reassurance that I won't necessarily have to restore.

9. airdrummingfool, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

airdrummingfool macrumors newbie

If you want to fix this without restoring, AND you have SSH installed, you can do the following (it worked for me).
    • SSH into the phone during it's reboot cycle. You will have to time it right, and once you are connected you will get about 2 minutes to fix it before it reboots
    • navigate to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries
    • rename the following files: mcclient.dylib, mchelper.dylib, and mcserver.dylib. (I added .off to the end of the filename)
    • wait for the phone to reboot fully, and it should be working!

What this does is disable MusicControls from loading with the phone. Whew!

EDIT: MusicControls confirmed as the culprit: https://twitter.com/#!/phoenixdev/status/7154443896233984

EDIT 2: Slightly easier method (from MusicControls dev here: http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comm...e_getting_apple_logo_screen_boot_loop/c16n92s)
    • SSH into the phone during it's reboot cycle. type the following two commands:
    • apt-get update
    • apt-get upgrade

10. Phat^Trance thread starter macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

that wont work since ssh doesnt even work during the boot (at least when i tried it). Couldnt even connect with the iPhonebrowser app!

Edit: forgot to add that i dont even have MusicControl installed :)