iPhone 4 Submerged in water.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rgre1, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Rgre1 macrumors newbie

I sunk my iPhone 4 in water accidentally for 5 minutes and I placed it in a bag of rice a soon as I found out. I took the sim card out also. I left the bag of rice in the sun everyday. It's been 2 weeks I took my phone out of the water and I plugged it into the wall. The apple logo shows for 30 seconds vibrates or so and it shows me I need to plug my phone into iTunes and then slide for emergency underneath that when I slide for emergency and I dial 911 it says Emergency calls only.0. To the bottom right above the slide for emergency is an info icon when I click it, it shows me IME: Unknown *ICCID: Unknown. The battery shows 100% so thats telling me that the phone thinks the charger is the battery oh and the second all of that shows up, that screen shows up that says slide to power off.

Wait I'm not done yet.

I plug it into my computer and a few other friends computers and it turns on shows the apple logo 30 seconds turns off and then turns on shows apple logo 30 seconds and turns off and it keeps going forever. It does not show up in iTunes for a second at all. I would love to take it to the Apple Store but I do not have the money to buy a replacement. So all help is appreciated :)

2. wpotere Guest

The phone is dead, you have no choice but to buy an out of warranty replacement. What kind of help are you looking for?

3. Rgre1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was hoping someone would tell me what else I could of done.

4. wpotere Guest

It sounds like you did what you could. That being said, it was submerged for a long time so I would have doubted it would have survived.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

pretty much the rice thing is generally a long shot at best but it is about your only option.

iPhone is also hurt by the fact that you can not remove the battery in hopes of saving it.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The fact that the ICCID and IMEI are unknown, as well as every other symptom you've described, indicates severe hardware damage. Take your phone to Apple and be honest in telling them what happened. Go in with a cool head and politely ask them what they can do for you. I've heard a lot of stories where people got their water damaged iPhones replaced by the Apple store for free because they were honest and didn't try to lie to get a free replacement. It's worth a shot, the worst they can do is say no. :) In which case you'd have to fork over $200. :(

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

You could try fitting a new battery, sounds like USB isn't giving the phone enough power to boot up with alone, so a new battery might charge and therefore boot, but it seems like a lot more is wrong with the phone than just that. I'd get saving for a new one.

9. aiernt macrumors newbie

My Experience

I went swimming w/my iphone. (i know, i know). It was deader, than dead could be. I tried rice, and everything, but it was gone. I had read a lot of posts where Apple has turned over a new leaf on water damage because of a class action lawsuit w/the sensitivity of the water sensors coming into question. I decided to go to the Apple store gods and beg for forgiveness. I went in, was very forthcoming w/what happened. The genius bar employee was very understanding, tried a couple things, but it was dead. He thanked me for being very truthful to him, and said they were going to go ahead and comp. me a new phone. Got it today and it was the best customer service experience that I have ever had. Walking in there I was nervous, and felt very stupid for what I had done, but honesty paid off in the end.

10. mayflower macrumors member

There are several ways to save a wet cell phone. Some may seem unusual but do you really want to have to purchase another expensive phone and learn a new keyboard for fast text messaging? Here are several steps and methods you can use to try and save your wet cell phone.

1. Obviously the first step is to remove the phone from whatever liquid it was immersed in. Next remove the battery as soon as possible. I can’t overstate how important this step is. The phone is an electronic device and electricity and water do not Mix. Leaving the battery in will cause short circuits and damage the phone. If your phone has a SIM card remove that too. Wipe off any excess water with a towel paper or otherwise.

The bad news; it is likely that your battery has been damaged. The good news; most batteries can be replaced for a reasonable price and are certainly cheaper than a new phone. Do not Heat the battery under any circumstances; they can explode!

2. Try putting the phone in the refrigerator. This may sound strange because most of us associate Heat with the drying process. Actually the refrigerator cools things by drawing moisture out of things. Do not put the phone in the freezer as this can damage the LCD
    (Liquid crystal display) After 30 minutes or so, take it out for about 10 minutes, and repeat until the phone is dry.

3. One of the simplest methods is to place the phone on top of a TV, or vent from a cable box or a device which emits a low heat. This can take up to 3 days but it’s better than having to shell out the bucks for a new phone.

4. If your accident happens outdoors miles away from home the simplest way to dry a phone is to place the phone on the dashboard. The car should be parked in a place that gets plenty of sun. After about 2 hours check to see if the screen is fogged. If its still foggy put it back on the Dash, if not try putting in the battery and boot up the phone.

5. Another common method used to save a wet cell phone is to place the phone in a container of rice. Remember how Grandma put grains of rice in the salt shaker to keep the salt dry. Rice can absorb an incredible amount of moisture.

6. Other methods along this line involve putting the phone in a sock or pantyhose and placing in a container with silica sand or the new crystal kind of cat litter. On the average these methods take about 3 days to be effective.

7. Try using a compressed air can like the ones sold at computer stores. Hold the can STRAIGHT (holding the can sideways, upside down, or at an angle, will discharge a freezing liquid damaging your phone further) Shoot the air into speaker, mic, keypad, and hard to reach crevices.

wish can help you!