iPhone 4, Surveillance Device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by osxhero, Apr 14, 2011.

1. osxhero macrumors member

Okay, this is my last one. I got these pics from a buddy who used to work in this line of business for the old .gov. He swears by this assertion.

I always find this forum's perspectives valuable.

Attached Files:

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Not only the iPhone 4. Pretty much any smartphone out there these days.

Start up the recording app, plug in some headphones and pretend to listen to music while hovering around your target.

3. osxhero thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I agree. The one point I never thought of myself, was the power supply issue. I always thought it was weird that one couldn't take it out. You could say that Apple was just trying to save space in the phone, but I always thought it was to create a replacement bill.

Nevertheless, it be on all the time huh?

4. TEHi macrumors regular

The iPhone can be used to track location and remotely monitoring audio and video with the use of Find my iphone and the new auto answer app in cydia.

5. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

First point is out and out incorrect. Yes, you can't remove it without tools and knowledge, but the phone clearly does shut down. It isn't 'always on'.

Second point is mostly correct, though you could get a cover that blocks out the back camera and then leave the phone face down.

Last two points apply to just about any phone made in the last 4 or so years, if not more.

6. drummr macrumors regular

I've wondered about this before. <s>But the gov would never do anything that isn't in the publics best interest</s>

7. osxhero thread starter macrumors member

Well, I can vouch for enough knowledge of the hardware and the iOS that indeed is does stay on. They button to reactivate the phone is a tiny listener attached to a hardware circuit. It's "conceivable" that other processes could be on or triggered via a remote packet burst.

I've been told that all user class monitoring mechanisms rely on event listeners that spoofers are not burden with. They can walk into computers without being noticed due to their knowledge of the system or in Microsoft's case, "arrangements" with the developer.

I remember NSA keys being found in Windows 98 years ago.

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I thought it was more or less common knowledge that "they" can listen in on most phones nowadays, regardless of whether or not it is on a call or turned off (unless the battery is drained).

I'm just going off of what I've heard in the news and from friends who work for the man so I could be wrong. I do remember a pretty big thing about this on the news though.

It's amazing how much stuff they crammed into the patriot act.