Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ticloudus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Hello everyone, after one year with the iphone 4, I feel pretty unhappy with how much I have to pay especially with the data plan. Is it possible for me to get a cheaper phone and having at&t cancel the data plan because I won't be using the iphone 4 anymore as a cell phone. With that said, is it possible to use the sim card of my iphone 4 (which will be on the cheaper phone hopefully...) to make my iphone 4 into a ipod touch without having at&t detecting it?

Thank you.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
  • Buy another from Craigslist/eBay/AT&T for full retail price
  • Insert SIM card from iPhone 4
  • Call AT&T and cancel data plan
  • Done

Ticloudus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
  • Buy another from Craigslist/eBay/AT&T for full retail price
  • Insert SIM card from iPhone 4
  • Call AT&T and cancel data plan
  • Done

Can I also do it from their store also? Like bring the old phone to them and have them take the sim card out from the iphone cause i have no such way to take it from my iphone 4?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
All you need is a paper clip

035.jpg

insert_sim_clip_image003.jpg

Ticloudus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Ok thanks. But even so, will they question why I want to cancel my data plan or need proof that I will not be using my iphone anymore?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Ok thanks. But even so, will they question why I want to cancel my data plan or need proof that I will not be using my iphone anymore?

Nope,

and if you're afraid or don't want to interact with an AT&T employee, just download the AT&T wireless app and change your plan in less than 5 minutes directly from your iPhone (but only after you have inserted your SIM card in your new phone).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myat-t/id309172177?mt=8

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Can I also do it from their store also? Like bring the old phone to them and have them take the sim card out from the iphone cause i have no such way to take it from my iphone 4?

Since you are switching to a phone that does not require a data plan, they will just record the "old" phones IMEI on your account and then drop the iPhone data plan. They will also need to switch your Visual Voicemail back to standard voicemail.

Also, since the iPhone 4 uses a Micro-SIM and an older phone will use the larger Mini-SIM, they will deactivate your Micor-SIM and activate a new Mini-SIM to be used on your "old" phone.

Make sure that you keep your old iPhone 4 Micro-SIM even after it is deactivated. You will need it if you restore your iPhone 4 as "new" for any reason or want to upgrade the iOS level. Just keep it in your iPhone 4 and you will be set.

Dave

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Hello everyone, after one year with the iphone 4, I feel pretty unhappy with how much I have to pay especially with the data plan. Is it possible for me to get a cheaper phone and having at&t cancel the data plan because I won't be using the iphone 4 anymore as a cell phone. With that said, is it possible to use the sim card of my iphone 4 (which will be on the cheaper phone hopefully...) to make my iphone 4 into a ipod touch without having at&t detecting it?

Thank you.

All carriers have the ability to automatically identify any smartphone on the network. You will pay one way or another. Cheating the system is a thing of the past. If you'd like to reduce your expense, just terminate your iPhone, pay the pro rated early termination fee, and go back to a regular feature phone. Simple.

Ticloudus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Nope,

and if you're afraid or don't want to interact with an AT&T employee, just download the AT&T wireless app and change your plan in less than 5 minutes directly from your iPhone (but only after you have inserted your SIM card in your new phone).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myat-t/id309172177?mt=8

So technically I'm not canceling my contract (don't have to pay for termination) but changing my plan, correct? I am capable of doing this in the stores also right because I'm more comfortable for them to do the changes when I can see them doing it rather through the phone. Of course, once the sim card is in the other phone, I am able to put it back on my iphone just to convert it to an ipod correct? Will at&t be able to track that just for that small conversion?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Correct, no change to your contract or voice rate plan. You are just dropping a feature that is not compatible with the phone you are going to use.

No, the Micro-SIM will be deactivated! A new Mini-SIM will be activated. Just keep your old Micor-SIM for reuse in your iPhone 4. Since it is not active, AT&T will need see it on the network and you can restore it as "new" and set it up as a very expensive iPod Touch! :eek:

Dave

Ticloudus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Correct, no change to your contract or voice rate plan. You are just dropping a feature that is not compatible with the phone you are going to use.

No, the Micro-SIM will be deactivated! A new Mini-SIM will be activated. Just keep your old Micor-SIM for reuse in your iPhone 4. Since it is not active, AT&T will need see it on the network and you can restore it as "new" and set it up as a very expensive iPod Touch! :eek:

Dave

Ok, so basically to get the sim card for my older phone, I'll probably have to go to their store and have them set it up. I probably won't bring the Micor-SIM just in case they take it or something. THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.