Iphone 4 system volume....almost gone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bwrairen, Nov 17, 2010.

1. bwrairen macrumors 6502

My iphone 4 system volume has dropped to almost nothing today. I can barely hear music playing, notifications...everything. I have rebooted, adjusted volume in every app...and nothing changes. Sounds fine through headphones. Any ideas???

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Try cleaning the speakers next to the face view camera and next to the dock port. This has been a common problem on all the iPhones, but I wouldn't fix it the same way (which is to just poke a few holes) since it hasn't been a year yet. Just use a small cloth and reach those place and see if it sounds any better afterwards. If not, take it to an Apple Store and see a Genius.

3. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

The iPhone has 1 speaker. On the lower right hand side.

The little hole on top is a microphone.

I doubt a new phone would have a speaker so dirty that you couldn't hear it.How's that possible anyway?

Look at the speaker. Does it look like something it's jammed up in there?

[​IMG]

I don't see how that is possible, so I am guessing the answer is no.

When in doubt, erase the iphone and let it restore.

I had some issues with ghost sms showing up after deletion and alarms that went off when I already deleted them.

I went to reset and chose to erase the phone.

Came back up to the first day I got the phone. Put everything I backed up from iTunes. Put my contacts back. and Perfecto! No more issues. Took about 5 minutes.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

5. bwrairen thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Actually the iPhone has 2 speakers on the bottom of the phone. The "speaker" on the front of the phone is technically called the earpiece.
    Something had made it's way into the right speaker. The grill was punctured. Apple store showed it to me under magnification.

Time for a teardown.....

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Nope, on the bottom: one is a microphone, the other is the speaker :eek:
    [​IMG]

7. bwrairen thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I stand corrected. But the speaker is the one that is punctured.