iPhone 4 Temperature warning

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iMikeT, Mar 26, 2011.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I tried looking for this in the forum but didn't find a thread about it.

I just experienced something very odd with my iPhone 4...

I received a text message and went to check it a minute later. I pressed the on/off button and the screen briefly flickered on then quickly turned off. I did it again and it stayed on this time and it seems to work fine now, for the most part. However, in the brief time that the screen flickered on and off and when I first turned it on for good, I saw the screen saying "Temperature Warning". The temperature warning was only there briefly then disappeared. Like I said, it seems to be working fine now for the most part.

I have a 32GB GSM iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1. I plan to upgrade to 4.3.1 eventually. The iPhone was laying flat on a table and hadn't been used in a couple of hours. It was room temperature (~68°F) when I picked it up. No apps were running in the background.

At this point, should I be worried and gearing up to call Apple on Monday?

2. AshMan macrumors regular

mine did same thing took it to apple they swapped it out. something with a temp sensor or so. my batt life was also severly compromised...

IF you are still under warranty.

Don;t upgrade to 4.3 yet. first make sure you back up your phone. new one from apple will probe come with 4.3 on it or maybe 4.2.1.

Regards

3. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes my iPhone 4 is still under the standard one year warranty as it has not yet been a year since it has been out, nor since I bought it.

So far I have one saying to go to Apple. Anyone else?

4. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Id say go to Apple aswell, since youre still under warranty.

5. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

That's two for call Apple.

Do you think that it will matter that I'm still on 4.1?

6. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm getting ready to call Apple about this. I'll call either later today but if not today, definitely on Monday.

Just wanted to ask again because it was never answered. Will Apple care that I'm still running iOS 4.1 instead of 4.3.1?

7. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

When the iPhone has some unknown software issue, the battery will work very hard to keep the processor doing all the unnecessary work it's doing. This can also make the temp sensor go off, since it gets hot doing all that work. If they replace the phone, and you put the backup of your old phone onto the replacement, there is a good chance the same problem will occur.

If you get a new iPhone and experience similar problems, best bet is to sync, not backup, all your iPhone's important info. Sync it into Address Book, iCal, etc. Then, restore the iPhone (wipe it clean by installing the official firmware again. When it's done restoring, it will ask you if you want to set it up as a new iPhone, or use the backup of the old one. This is when you say "New iPhone" and proceed to sync all your stuff back.

If anything goes wrong, you still have the backup.

I know this sounds like a pain, but if I hadn't seen literally hundreds of similar cases where this was the fix, I wouldn't even recommend it.

Avoiding the upgrade to 4.3 seems kinda pointless here, unless you're talking about keeping your jailbreak. In fact, Apple often won't replace your phone unless you're running the latest firmware. After all, they write the smaller updates, such as 4.3 to 4.3.1 specifically for bug fixes and performance enhancements. Also, Apple goes through a lot of inventory, and quickly after a new firmware comes out, especially if it can't yet be jailbroken, all the iPhones on Apple's shelves soon have the newest firmware exclusively.

Spike