Iphone 4 Tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by James.123, Aug 26, 2010.

1. James.123 macrumors regular

Hey guys,
    i know the handylight app made it really easy to set up tethering, but being that it is not in the app store, does anyone know how i can get it? OR... does anyone know a way i can set up tethering without being a developer. I dont mind following many steps. I am going away soon and will need it for business.
    Cheers guys

2. tigert07 macrumors regular

you can get it from AT&T only at this time I believe. The devs of the light app were very clever, its a shame not many of us got the hint before it was pulled :rolleyes:

3. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

5. jgayman macrumors member

I just cannot get over the insane penalty that AT&T charges just for the ability to tether. I'm finding that I'm not using anywhere near my 2GB/month on my phone which would really fit well with my need to tether a few times per month. But paying $20/mo just for the "permission" to tether is nuts. You would think for $20 AT&T would at least throw in another 1GB or something.

6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Jailbreak your phone and buy MyWi. Either pay a flat fee of 20 for that, or 20 per month for going with ATT's tethering plan.

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Jailbreak. There's MyWi, PDAnet, and TetherMe. All have different capabilities and features.

I used TetherMe with iTether on the wifi iPad last week and was able to tether via Bluetooth while away from home or any wifi access. It's perfect for those who only have an occasional need to tether; I did a few emails and a little light surfing.

HandyLight, BTW isn't all that easy as you need to set up an ad hoc network on your laptop to use it, and many people with Windows based machines had issues. Won't work with iPads at all without additional code workarounds. It was brilliant for its audacity, but functionally, there are better options out there.

Or just go the AT&T route.