Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTA60288

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Henderson, Nevada
I know you guys must read a lot of these but I'm desperate. My iPhone 4 was stolen at this party I was at the night before last and I was wondering if there is anyway to track it without iCloud. Is there anyway to track it using the device's serial number? Also would AT&T be able to track it using GPS? I appreciate any responses and I understand there's probably not much I can do without iCloud, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to make a thread.

JTA60288

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Henderson, Nevada
Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately it seems the chances of getting the phone back are slim to none. The thief bought something on iTunes so I changed all my passwords so nothing else can be purchased on my account. How often do police recover stolen iPhones?
BTW: Apparently I do have iCloud but unfortunately, I didn't have the app installed on my phone before the incident (I definitely should have installed it).

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
If you can, try to track it using Find My iPhone.

Yeah, the app doesn't hav eto be installed for this ( the app is used for finding OTHER devices...). If you have Location Services enabled, you can possibly still find it.

And if you have the serial and IMEI -you can report it for the block list - but it won't necessarily help you get it back.

JTA60288

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Henderson, Nevada
Update: I did not find the phone but I had an upgrade available and bought a new phone (installing iCloud was the first thing I did LOL). The situation made me wonder, why isn't Find My iPhone turned on by default? Also I found that a thief could easily turn it off in the settings so that the owner would never find his device. Maybe the app should be running in the background 24/7 with no way for a thief to turn it off? Anyway thanks for all the responses, I appreciate the help.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I'd suggest password protecting your phone. Makes it much harder to get into your stuff. That's worse than losing the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.