iPhone 4 Third Party Warranty in Canada?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dhelsdon, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Hey guys,

I am just curious what are my options for a third party warranty within Canada,
    something similar to Square Trade, with water damage and all the stuff not typically covered by your average in-store warranty.

I already looked into Square Trade, but I purchased my iP4 at the Online Apple Store (Canada) and they don't support retail online stores in Canada. Just eBay, so if you know of any please say so.

I have car insurance with the Cooperators but as far as I know they don't offer any kind of mobile phone coverage.

2. SnowDX macrumors 6502

I was wanting the same thing for my daughter's iPhone and someone suggested I checked with my home insurer. So, I just called and on mine I can get an iPhone 4 insured for about $20 a year (this was the quote for estimated replacement value of $850 for a 32GB). This covers theft and "mysterious disappearance" (which includes loss) and there is no deductible. This is with Wawanesa. I'm emailing them the model, serial # and replacement value and they'll add it onto my policy today. We can also cancel it anytime.

I hadn't asked if it covered damage of any sort because that wasn't a concern of ours, but I did call back and ask. The lady who was dealing with me was with another client so she's calling me back. I'll update when I hear from her.

3. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I got insurance from Gotronics...haven't had to use it yet, though. It only cost ~$85 for two years' worth of coverage. Also, they will give you a loaner phone while yours is being repaired and are fine with jailbroken and unlocked phones. They will even jailbreak your phone for you if you want for free. $50 deductible for damage and $349 deductible for theft and loss if I remember correctly.

Wes

4. SnowDX macrumors 6502

WesCole, from their terms & conditions, it appears they only provide U.S. coverage.

5. Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Thanks for the suggestions, I briefly looked into my insurance policy with Co-Operators and I didn't see anything advertised about coverage for electronics or mobile phones. I may look into that GoTronics or whatever the name was that was mentioned above this post.

6. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Did you actually call your agent though? The coverage I'm getting isn't listed anywhere on my policy or on their web site, but the agents had a book of information on what could be added to a policy. There was no way for me to actually find out the info without talking to my agent.

As for damage with my insurance policy, apparently since it's a "fragile" items, the coverage is discretionary deepending on what happened and how it happened. So, for example, you drop it and break it, likely not covered. But it being water damaged because the dude sitting next to you dumped his beer on your phone would likely be covered because it's not due to your fault and has nothing to do with it being a fragile item.

Their Terms & Conditions say that their "territory of coverage" is U.S. only.